Roseymel

Border for my roses and hydrangeas

Hi, I am looking do some suggestions to border my roses and hydrangeas. Currently, they are planted around my deck and surrounded by mulch. But.....there is no border, grass grows along the edges. I just would like some simple ideas to tidy up the look
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

any kind of low bedding plant that isn't going to compete with them would be fine. Examples are alyssum, moss roses, johnny jump up, wax begonias, basket of gold, dwarf veronica, etc

If you just want a nice green border, that you don't have to replant every year, there are dwarf boxwoods, including the small leafed boxwood, that make tight green low hedges. It's a pretty traditional look:
english-rose-with-boxwood-hedges.jpg
english-rose-with-boxwood-hedges.jpg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Another choice would be gaultheria procumbens, (aka wintergreen/ boxberry/ teaberry). It is an evergreen ground cover, gets about 6" high, dark green with red berries much of the year. It is the source of wintergreen flavor. It likes very to slightly acid soil and part shade. So wouldn't grow in full sun like your roses, but might grow under them, if the roses provide shade for them or might grow with the hydrangeas, if they are not in full sun.

wintergreen:
https://www.outsidepride.com/images/prod ... rgreen.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I plant alyssum, garlic chives, garlic (sometimes), four o'clocks and cuphea under my roses.

Allyssum attracts bees and beneficial insects provided roses are not regularly sprayed and systemic insecticides are not routinely used.

Garlic chives, garlic, and four o'clocks repel insects. Four o'clocks are trap plants for rose beetles. Four o'clocks are toxic and will actually kill rose beetles, but they are also toxic to people and pets so they should not be planted with edibles and children and pets need to stay away from them. They do drop seeds and spread but they are easy to pull out.

Marigolds, especially dwarf french varieties like t. patula species ' single gold' or' tangerine', bonita mix, 'Gypsy Sunshine', t.lucida species called Mexican mint marigold (which is also edible as a tarragon substitute as long as it is not sprayed with chemicals), or t. erecta species 'Crackerjack'. Not all marigolds varieties are pest and especially nematode traps or repellent. The ones that work well usually have an odor. Marigold trap aphids and attract ladybugs and other beneficial insects and the marigolds listed above are effective against root knot nematodes which is a problem for me.

Cuphea attracts bees, hummingbirds (not where I live we only have hummingbird moths) blooms nearly year round and is tall enough to crowd out most weeds when it is healthy. It thrives where it is hot and does not need much water. It has a low invasiveness risk assessment and I have not had a problem with it reseeding. I do propagate from cuttings.

Oh, and my roses are planted near a streetlight, it keeps the rose beetles away.

Mhasan

HI,

I like Alyssum but it grows like crazy and really spreads. One small bunch that I planted grew to the size of a melon !
I like boxwood. We tried small boxwood to create a border but most of them didn't do well and died.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

An old fashioned border is Lirope. I prefer the variegated rather than the green. A combination of variegated and green would also be attractive. The Lirope clumps but is not extremely invasive. Plant 12" apart. It is easy to weed eat along the outside edge of established Lirope.

Another option that I like is to gather stones, sea shells and rocks. Place them around your bed then tuck in Portulaca and Moss Rose. In your climate both will last year round.

I would not recommend 4 O'clock in your space. They get very large, are invasive and require TNT to get rid of. I love 4 O'clocks in a wild setting - they need lots of room.

RBG has some good suggestions on native plants. Do a little homework. Do pay attention to mature plant size - you want low growing plants. Pay close attention to plant spacing. ALWAYS allow for mature size.

Good luck.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”