Ridgeview
Newly Registered

Naturalized daffodils and wildflowers

I have some areas of naturalized daffodils that have done reasonably well and provided a reliable show every spring. I had planted them in what was once pasture amound grasses. We allow the foliage to ripen until about the 4th of July when we cut and mow until fall. There are about 1000 bulbs in USDA zone 6b (-5-0)

At this time of year (May-June), the areas look a bit dull and messy; can anyone recommend some wild flowers/annuals/perennials that would bloom and perhaps provide some sweeps of color and also accommodate being cut back with the daffs? There a few daisies and blackeyed susans that have migrated in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's some native perennials with bloom times late spring or summer, that would be pretty easy care, once established:

yarrow - feathery leaves with pleasant aromatic fragrance, flowers attractive to pollinators. There are hybrid versions with showier flowers.

spreading dogbane/ bitter root - tall bushy perennial with showy fragrant flowers that are attractive to butterflies and honeybees, spreads rapidly,

several different milkweeds - showy flowers, necessary for monarch butterflies

campanulas, several different bellflowers, including some hybrid ones - conspicuous flowers that hummingbirds like

coreopsis - brilliant gold flowers, drought tolerant, very hardy, attractive to butterflies

daylilies - common orange "ditch lilies" have been hybridized in to many beautiful colors. They should be all done and mostly disappeared by the time you are mowing.

several different penstemon species including some hybrid varieties - beautiful flowers attractive to hummingbirds and bumblebees.

Some of these you might have to seek out a native plant nursery to find. The ones with hybrid varieties probably are available in any good nursery.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

As you plan to mow in July, need something that blooms early, and doesn't mind being cut. Left on its own, daisy fleabane will do that. It is very much in my yard, and doesn't mind the mowing! Most flowers that are considered pesky weeds in the yard should do fine, including the daisy fleabane, dandelions, clover.

applestar
Mod

I have Golden Alexanders which are starting to wane and turn into seedheads now though some secondaries are still blooming. I would be cutting these down by Memorial Day though, so it might be too early? Left until 4th of July, they will have matured seedheads and will self seed.
Golden Alexanders in full bloom
Golden Alexanders in full bloom
Whorled milkweed and Amsonia Bluestar are in bloom right now and will be ready to be cut by July if you want, though I leave my milkweed up.
image.jpg
Silene/flycatcher is starting to bloom -- they are kind of ephemeral by summer....

Yarrow definitely won't mind being mowed... They are just starting to send up flowerstalks.

I love Sweet Vernal Grass -- they are blooming now and I let them. They smell so lovely when brushed against or cut or mowed.

You could consider wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) -- they are blooming and starting to blush fruits that are only (INCREDIBLY) tasty when fully ripe and that turn into mush by 4 hours after picking. By July they will be done.

Ridgeview
Newly Registered

Thanks to all who replied, the suggestions were all worthy. I already have some daisy fleabane and yarrow in the area so I will encourage it. I was especially taken with the Golden Alexander which is new to me. It seems readily available, affordable in seeds, and suitable for my area. I will seed this fall and report back if the results merit.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Just adding a couple more, perhaps already listed. Both coreopsis and Queen Anne's lace manage to grow and bloom in the scrappiest of urban areas. Probably would be happy in your field.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”