timber
Newly Registered

Planting more than one variety of flowering climbing vines

I'm sorry for asking questions that may seem like common sense. I am not well versed at all in gardening.

I want to plant some flowering climbing vines. I currently have a trumpet vine growing on one side of the fence. I will be planting some honeysuckle and chocolate vines along the other sides of fencing. If the different vines were to meet, would one overpower the other and kill it? I ask because the trumpet vine began to grow on a cedar hedge and now it's dead. Not sure it it's coincidence or if it was related to the vine.

KeyWee

Nothing kills a trumpet vine (if it IS campsis radicans or maybe it was one of the other plants "called" trumpet vine but not campsis?). Some vines (as you suspect) are more invasive than others, but there is no reason you can't plant them together. I have the real trumpet (orange campsis) and Caroline jessamine growing together ~ yes, they do jockey for space, but I keep them at bay. Depending where you are, some vines will take over and others will behave. Honeysuckle is invasive for me (I have a woods full of it and wouldn't intentionally plant it). Other behaving vines (such as clematis) are better off on their own.

timber
Newly Registered

I've noticed that the trumpet vine is very hardy. It was here when I moved to the house. It climbs up a large post and began to spread over to the house and over a hedge. The hedge is now dead.

I can't plant clematis as it is toxic to dogs. I need to make sure what I plant will be safe for them. Thank you for your reply. It's helped me a lot in knowing what can be done (ie growing various climbing vines together).

KeyWee

If you are worried about toxicity, most ornamental plants, including trumpet vine, are toxic to some degree. People and animals can become ill from ingesting them. Only YOU know your own pets ~ most dogs will not bother any plant that will make them sick. With puppies, you have to be more careful. My dog will go out and eat grass occasionally, but she never pays any attention to the clematis or trumpet vine. I have been hollering "get outta the flowers" for six years now, so that may have something to do with it.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”