Jai_Ganesha

orange flowers

For future plans I like to think about a big raised bed where I grow only orange flowers, both perennial and annual (and bulbs). I'd like to have several shades of orange from bright, light, and citrusy, to deep, heavy, and earth-toned, and with bloom times from early spring to late fall.

Here are my go-to flowers:

SPRING
Daffodils (peach, salmony, terracotta orange)
Tulips (I like the tall, slender-looking ones)
Iris

SUMMER
Zinnia
Marigold (both tall and short varieties)
Nasturtium
Calendula
Cosmos
Tithonia (in back)
Dahlia (in back)
Sunflowers (in back)
Portulaca (front border)

FALL
Yarrow
Helenium
Mum
Ornamental peppers

I am open to suggestions and feedback. Of course, all of this is in the "planning" stage right now but I plan to make it happen in the next couple of years. I've considered Icelandic or California poppies, calendula (pot marigold), and even orange roses.

I specifically am interested in late spring/early summer blooms that are orange.

Thanks, y'all! :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

And pots of violas for winter going into spring.
Attachments
IMG_20150504_100558_426.jpg
IMG_20150504_100558_426.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Here's a link to a photo/info for "Matrix Orange Pansy" which I grew last year and am growing this year as well in both orange & other colors in the Matrix series. Large-flowering & quite hardy:

https://www.panamseed.com/plant_info.asp ... 4283003789

RedBeard1987

I have to say that I absolutely Friggin love this idea!!! I'm a little obsessed with the color orange. If my wife would let me I would make everything some shade of orange. I will be following this one to see the orangey goodness.

Jai_Ganesha

I'm not a Hare Krishna, although I've been accused of it (haha), and the color orange is holy. In Hare Krishna temples, books, clothes, restaurants, art, and culture, there's a lot of clear, bright oranges as well as light, pale, creamy oranges, and fiery, dark, heavy, oranges. Orange also contrasts well with the greens and green-blues of foliage. I know I can do this with flowers and plop a big blue statue of Krishna in the middle. lol

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Here's another terrific easy-going orange bloomer - Asclepias tuberosa (aka Butterfly Weed). Around here (VA) it's a native wildflower (I have several that pop up here on my property every year), but seeds for home gardens are readily available from any number of vendors. The flowers are a brilliant almost neon orange, & the plant is very accommodating of less-than-perfect conditions. Oh - another plus is that they are absolute BUTTERFLY MAGNETS! :)

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result ... plant=ASTU

KeyWee

Siberian wallflower. Biennial with great fragrance.

Jai_Ganesha

Thank you all for the suggestions. I can't believe I forgot butterfly weed. I don't know if I've ever seen Siberian wallflower growing before--you're in western Kentucky, what parts? I've been out to Elizabethtown quite a bit (some say that's western, some say it's central)...

KeyWee

Jai ~ I am WAY more west than E-Town. Closer to the Paducah area in a tiny spot called Hardin. My gardens are full of yellows and oranges. Siberian wallflower is one of my favorites, and since it is biennial, I always keep seeds on hand. I will be happy to send you some seeds if you like. If you toss them out now, you will get plants this year, then blooms next year. Like I mentioned, the fragrance is amazing and they bloom for a fairly long time. Mine have been flowering for about two weeks now.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”