Flowers

When to start these flower seeds?

Hey everyone! I just took part in my first seed exchange on here and today I received my new flower seeds. Now I'm wondering what I Should do with these seeds! The seeds I have now are aguilegias, chamomile, nigellas, and candy Lillies.

I'm wondering when I should start these seeds, which Of them can be grown in containers, and which of them should be started indoors or outdoors. I am in zone 5.

Thank you!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Of the items you have I have only grown chamomile here in Zone 6a. Since it spreads quite readily and I don't want it taking over my yard or space, I grow it in containers. They need to be good sized containers and I just plant it outside in the containers in May once it's warm enough.

I grown it basically to pick the flowers for tea. Mine have always grown quite prolifically so I don't plant too many because I'd be out there collecting the flowers all day every day.....lol

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are two types of chamomile, annual and perennial, and they have different requirements. Which do you have?

Likewise the columbines (aquilegia) - wild type columbine seed needs to be cold stratified or preferably planted outdoors in fall to overwinter and sprout in the spring. Commercial hybrid types may be able to just be planted. Which do you have?

Lilies are rarely started from seed, so I wouldn't know anything about that.

Nigella should be planted outdoors now (presuming you are past all danger of frost)

Growing Tips:
Nigella does not like being transplanted and does best if direct seeded outdoors. Seed can be sown from early spring, throughout the summer and even in fall, in climates with mild winters. Choose a site that gets either full sun or at least morning sun. Nigella is not particular about soil quality, but it doesn't like to remain wet.

To sow, simply scatter the seed and rake it in. You don't really need to cover the seed with soil, but it does need to be pressed down slightly.

Maintenance: Nigella is a short lived plant and probably won't make through an entire growing season. For a continuous bloom, repeat sow every 4 weeks. Once your plants have begun to scatter seed, you won't need to continue sowing.
https://gardening.about.com/od/plantprof ... igella.htm

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”