webmaster
Site Admin

Plants to Avoid: List the Plants You Love to Hate

So someone told me about this guy who has a Sago Palm that nearly killed his dog. Turns out the Sago Palm Tree is highly poisonous to humans and pets. It's poison affects your liver and can also cause neurological damage, frequently causing death in most instances of poisoning.

Here is the blog post about [url=https://www.tonyspencer.com/2007/10/03/this-plant-will-kill-your-dog-and-maybe-your-kids/]Dangerous plants[/url] that can kill your pets.

Other plants to avoid, imo are foreign species, like Eucalyptus (outside of Australia of course, hehe).

What plants are on your list of plants to avoid for any particular reason.

[/url]

Newt
Greener Thumb

Here's some that come to mind.
Chameleon plant - Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' spreads like crazy and is almost impossible to get rid of.

Bishop's weed - Aegopodium podograria is similar to the above.

Bradford pear is a weak limbed tree that almost took my hubby away when a huge limb broke off and crashed to the ground.

I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.
Newt

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I steer clear of invasive species regardless of whether they're formally identified as same for my state or not and I try hard to stay away from foreign/non-native species. I'd say top of my list these days for plants I love to hate for the next few years would be Typha angustifolia (Narrow Leaf Cattail), Phragmites australis (European Phragmites), Phalaris arundinacea (Ribbon Grass/Reed Canary Grass), and Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) of all plants! I'm gearing up to remove these over the next few years.

Last few years the plants I loved to hate the most were probably Berberis thunbergii (Japanese Barberry), Glechoma bederacea (Creeping Charlie), Cornus alba (Siberian Dogwood), Euonymus alata (Burning Bush), Lonicera spp. (Japanese Honeysuckle), Calleryana spp. (Bradford, Cleveland Select, Aristocrat, Chanticlear and any of the other 50 or so they've introduced to date), and Rhamnus spp. (European Buckthorn). I've beaten most of these back over a span of 7 years and am sliding into maintenance mode.

NEWisc

My list includes several plants that I have been battling for several years:

Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea)
Spreads like wildfire by rhizomes and seeds. Very difficult to remove. Cultivation only increases the number of plants.

Spotted Knapweed (Centaurea biebersteinii)
Spreads by wind blown seed. Seeds remain viable in the ground for many years. Produces allopathic substances that harm other plants. Small populations can be pulled after a rain, but once it's gone to seed it takes many years of repeated pulling to get rid of the seed bank.

Leafy Spurge (Euphorbia esula)
Spreads by rhizome and seed. Very difficult to kill. Pulling or cultivation only increases the number of plants. Very deep roots. Grows in any kind of soil or moisture level.

Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota)
Another prolific seeder. I have been trying to get rid of it for 7 years and it still shows up every year.

None of these plants were brought onto my land by me or the previous owner. They all arrived from neighboring properties. Please always be considerate and respectful of your neighbors when selecting plants for your property. There are many websites on the internet now that will tell you if a plant is invasive or not.

NewjerseyTea

I have 3 small plants that I'd love to get rid of and have been trying to for the last 15 years. The first, creeping charlie, Glechoma hederacea, I actually let spread through the garden thinking it was a native wildflower, because it had pretty lavender blooms. It took a few years to realize what it was and I still have it everywhere. New gardeners should be issued a invasive plant home inspection. Hey, that sounds like a great business for someone to start.
The other 2 I'd like to rid myself of are onion grass and lesser celandine, buttercups, Ranunculus ficaria.

Jess
Greener Thumb

[quote="NewjerseyTea The other 2 I'd like to rid myself of are onion grass and lesser celandine, buttercups, Ranunculus ficaria.[/quote]

I too would love to see the back of celandine, greater or lesser and hawkweed. (My neighbour sent them over :x ) Apart from those I fight an endless battle with bird cherry suckering roots and dandelions (coming from the common next to me)
I control the ivy coming through from the wooded area behind my garden. It crosses a certain line...it dies! I am surrounded by nature which I love but it does mean I am constantly under attack! :lol:
Plants I don't have and would never allow in my garden; Vinca, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, Asters, Houttonia, Pachysandra and Symphoricarpos albus.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

The worst problem plants here are Rosa multiflora, Berberis thunbergii, Rumex acetosella commonly called red sorrel or sheep sorrel - it is edible but you'd have to have a phenomenal appetite to stay ahead of it, a variety of grasses, Celastrus orbiculatus - oriental bittersweet, Acer planatoides - Norway maple, Vicia spp. - vetches, Cirsium spp. - thistles, Arctium minus - common burdock, and Equisetum arvense - field horsetail, which is native and pretty in the right spot but an unkillable thug.
I also tend to regard most Monardas, Ajuga, Centauria montana, Tradescantias, Macleaya cordata and some Rubeckias as more trouble than they are worth.

Gardenmom
Cool Member

For some reason, every time I go to the nursery and pick up a little 4-inch pot of cranesbill geranium, some nursery worker tells me, "You know, those are highly invasive." I'm well aware of the growth habits of the cranesbill, and when I actually buy one to plant in the garden, I know that it will give me tons of color and the WOW factor I'm looking for. Yes, it's invasive, but I only plant it where it can spread out...and I've learned to let it reseed where it wants. It's great in containers and around the base of a tree.

brubel

I loathe Morning Glory. It is really invasive and appears to choke all other plants around it. It was the only seed I successfully got to grow in my first house and I started have to pull it out almost immediately when I noticed it strangling the other plants. Believe it or not, we moved and got it again in our new house - seed planted by a bird this time.

Another is English Ivy. It is totally invasive and kills trees. I have the misfortunate of having had a neighbor plant some in a jointly owned wooded area and they have now climbed a number of my trees. They are very resistant to pesticides and hard to kill.

brubel

Jess,

Why don't you like vinca. Does it kill anything? Which one do you mean: there are two types of vinca: vinca and vinca minor.

I asked b/c I just planted vinca minor in an isolated bed. They are the only thing in the bed. I put this in after trying several other plants first.

This may be a love-hate plant: I've seen several recent articles about people loving it. I've also seen several people like you putting it on the hate list. It's in now, so I need to know what to look out for.

brubel
Jess wrote:[quote="NewjerseyTea The other 2 I'd like to rid myself of are onion grass and lesser celandine, buttercups, Ranunculus ficaria.
I too would love to see the back of celandine, greater or lesser and hawkweed. (My neighbour sent them over :x ) Apart from those I fight an endless battle with bird cherry suckering roots and dandelions (coming from the common next to me)
I control the ivy coming through from the wooded area behind my garden. It crosses a certain line...it dies! I am surrounded by nature which I love but it does mean I am constantly under attack! :lol:
Plants I don't have and would never allow in my garden; Vinca, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, Asters, Houttonia, Pachysandra and Symphoricarpos albus.[/quote]

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm not Jess but I've spent countless hours removing Vinca from my own property as well as from natural areas so I'll have a go at answering some of your questions.

Vinca is one of those plants that gardeners generally end up having a love hate relationship with unless they don't mind having little else in the area where it was planted several years down the road. Once it gets going in any area, it can choke out other plants. In a garden, we tend to keep it in check before it kills our other plants but when it creeps out into natural areas, it looks something like this-
https://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/vinma06.jpg

Interstingly enough, vincas were originally always referred to as the Flower of Death because gardeners noticed they quickly overtook areas killing their other plants. Trying to sell a plant referred to as the Flower of Death wasn't exactly great for boosting revenue to those selling them so the nursery industry latched onto the common name of Periwinkle and began marketing Vinca under that name. You have to admit the word Periwinkle has a much nicer ring to it that calls out to us to buy it as opposed to Flower of Death.

We have two vincas that have naturalized in North America. Vinca minor and Vinca Major. Vinca minor now goes by the common names of Creeping Myrtle, Periwinkle, and some old timers still will call it Flower of Death more so because that's what their parents called it. Vinca major goes by the common names of Big Leaf Periwinkle, Greater Periwinkle, Myrtle, and there are some still calling this one Flower of Death too.

Here are links to the USDA site for both-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VIMI2
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VIMA

Both vincas (and all cultivars and hybrids being sold) are classified as invasive species in part because of their ability to form dense and extensive mats to the exclusion of native vegetation. They're evergreen or semi-evergreen which even better enables vincas to block sunlight to the ground where seeds of native species need sunlight to heat up soil temps as well as nutrients and water so they germinate. Vinca is an ecological invasive not so dissimilar from Kudzu, Lily of the Valley, and English Ivy. There are far worse invasives out there though than Vinca. Fortunately, Vinca is easy to remove without the use of any chemicals for any who would be interested in removing it. You just dig it up and hand pull the runners out of the ground. A few alternatives to vinca that could be considered as ground covers would be Mitchella repens (Partridgeberry), Potentilla tridentata (Cinquefoil), and Phlox stolonifera (Creeping Phlox) but there are others.

More info here where it made weed of the week status-
https://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/common-periwinkle.pdf

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Achillea millefolium (the species, white flowered)--this is native in my area, but I regret I planted it. It spreads by seeds and underground runners, and will grow anywhere. We have it coming up in cracks in the asphalt driveway. It's a good butterfly and bee plant, so I want to keep it, but may replace it with a named variety that's easier to control.

Lupine--another native, but belongs in a hospital, not in my garden. Every year, the plants are covered in aphids and then get a fungal disease--it's like something out of a grade B horror flick. Yet the plants manage to reseed themselves in other areas of the garden, so they do survive long enough to reproduce.

Aster chilensis--also native, good butterfly and bee plant, but spreads like wildfire. It will out-compete grass. I like the plant, though, so I'll keep it; it doesn't spread as rapidly and far-reaching as the Achillea.

Oxalis--both the native species and exotic species are invasive. I have the yellow flowering purple oxalis everywhere.

Herb Robert--AKA Stinky Bob. Pernicious pest!

Aegopodium--invasive pest.

Lunaria--it's everywhere!

English holly--leathery leaves with sharp spines that won't decompose in my lifetime, and dropping thousands of berries with nigh-on 100% germination, resulting in 10,000 little seedlings, each armed with vicious little spiny leaves. Tnanks to the drop of leaves from holly, nothing will grow under it.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Jess wrote:[quote="NewjerseyTea The other 2 I'd like to rid myself of are onion grass and lesser celandine, buttercups, Ranunculus ficaria.
Plants I don't have and would never allow in my garden; Vinca, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, Asters, Houttonia, Pachysandra and Symphoricarpos albus.[/quote]

I'm curious about the Symphoricarpus albus; it's a native plant in my area. Is it invasive in Great Britain, or does it sucker heavily? It's one I've been considering planting.

I do agree aobut the Hyacinthoides non-scripta; I battle those every year. Grrrr.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

It is my understanding much of the Achillea millefolium being sold at nurseries is Achillea millefolium var. millefolium. It's not native to this continent but to either Europe or Asia. Can be extremely difficult to tell apart from the millefoliums that are native. If people are struggling with Achillea millefolium, it's probably Achillea millefolium var. millefolium.
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ACMIM2
(sigh) I've accidentally bought Achillea millefolium var. millefolium before.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

TheLorax wrote:It is my understanding much of the Achillea millefolium being sold at nurseries is Achillea millefolium var. millefolium. It's not native to this continent but to either Europe or Asia. Can be extremely difficult to tell apart from the millefoliums that are native. If people are struggling with Achillea millefolium, it's probably Achillea millefolium var. millefolium.
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ACMIM2
(sigh) I've accidentally bought Achillea millefolium var. millefolium before.
I looked at photos of A. millefolium var. millefolium, and the flowers don't look quite like those on my Achillea. I *think*, but cannot be 100% sure, that what I have is A. millefolium subsp. pacifica. I bought it from a county native plant salvage agency (also no guarantee of native source). I wouldn't call it invasive, really--it's not choking the life out of other plants--but it does spread far more rapidly and more far-ranging than I would like. If I had room for a meadow, I'd happily let it go as far and wide as it wanted.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I took parts of one of my plants to a botanist friend to let her try to figure out what I had purchased. Perhaps you might want to take some of your millefolium in to someone who might be in a position to help you positively identity which one you have. I frequently see photos online that are most certainly mislabeled and herbarium specimens have been known to be mislabeled. That's why one will frequently find lots of handwritten notes added to herbarium specimens by others. Regarding native plant nurseries, purchased 25 Morus rubra last year that turned out to be M. alba. That certainly wasn't the first honest mistake on behalf of a native plant nursery and most certainly won't be the last. He's human and contacted all who purchased them so we could remove them.

Incidentally; millefoliums are well documented as hybridizing freely which may complicate an identification and A. millefolium var. millefolium looks to be naturalized throughout the entire state of Washington. It is entirely possible a salvage agency could have gotten their hands on non-native material. Accidents happen.

I have since removed my original three millefolium plants and all of the offspring.

Jess
Greener Thumb

brubel wrote:Jess,
Why don't you like vinca. Does it kill anything? Which one do you mean: there are two types of vinca: vinca and vinca minor.
I asked b/c I just planted vinca minor in an isolated bed. They are the only thing in the bed. I put this in after trying several other plants first.
This may be a love-hate plant: I've seen several recent articles about people loving it. I've also seen several people like you putting it on the hate list. It's in now, so I need to know what to look out for.
brubel
Any plant that is impossible to erradicate once it is in the ground I dislike. Vinca can be controlled if cut off from the rest of the garden but once in it it spreads and chokes anything else in that area. You cannot kill it by drying it out as it will grow in nigh on desert conditions. It roots wherever it touches so has no limit to its spread and greater or less they do the same thing just one is slightly slower than the other.
I would not give it space in my garden as I have too many choice plants that would be swamped by it in seconds.....but I have once used Vinca in a garden. A raised hollow ugly wall in shade which needed something to cover it permanently. Any that managed to reach beyond a certain point was chopped off so could not root on the ground below.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Garden Spider wrote:
I'm curious about the Symphoricarpus albus; it's a native plant in my area. Is it invasive in Great Britain, or does it sucker heavily? It's one I've been considering planting.
I do agree aobut the Hyacinthoides non-scripta; I battle those every year. Grrrr.
Yes Symphoricarpus suckers terribly!
In this country birds spread it indiscriminately by consuming the berries. We have natural hedgerows of beautiful buckthorn, whitethorn and hawthorn being destroyed by this awful plant. Try to dig out a mature thicket of this stuff and you will never stand straight again. I broke my 'lifetime guarantee' spade on a clump once. :evil:

Hyacinthoides non-scripta are just stunning in England right now. Whole woodland floors are carpeted with it and it is breathtaking to see.....but the bulbs are too deep down and multiply too quickly to be grown in your average suburban plot. They are meant for mass planting not a little corner, also, once finished they look like slimy grass. Not attractive.
https://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/plants_and_algae/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta/ARK006887.html?offset=0px

Jess
Greener Thumb

MaineDesigner wrote:I also tend to regard most Monardas, Ajuga, Centauria montana, Tradescantias, Macleaya cordata and some Rubeckias as more trouble than they are worth.
Ajuga I can understand though I do still use it if I want cover in an inhospitable area but why the others Maine?
Monarda?! Wonderful bee plant and never a thug here. It spreads but is easy to remove.
Tradescantia, beautiful garden plant and in my experience here, not invasive.
Rudbeckias I never bother with purely because the slugs turn them in to string vests but they are never a problem here.
Macleay cordata is beautiful and such a hard plant to get hold of in UK. It looks wonderful in an herbaceous border and many of the RHS gardens here use it. :roll:
Funny how one mans thug is another mans (womans :D ) choice plant depending on which country you are in.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Vinca can be controlled if cut off from the rest of the garden
Thanks for my chuckle of the morning. Pretty funny.

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote:
Vinca can be controlled if cut off from the rest of the garden
Thanks for my chuckle of the morning. Pretty funny.
:lol: I know that sounds a tad ridiculous now I look at it but I was referring to brubels post about having it in an isolated bed.
I will reword.....
If you brick Vinca in on all sides and do not let it grow beyond the bricks you can control it.
Hows that?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

If you brick Vinca in on all sides and do not let it grow beyond the bricks you can control it.
That's funny too because we still wouldn't be able to grow hardly anything else in that area because vinca is such a resource hog. I take it you've had the displeasure like me of having to control vincas?

I'd also add it might be a good idea to follow your advice above but to also seriously consider driving some sort of a barrier into the ground about a foot or so underneath the bricks so their roots don't try to make a run for the great green beyond the bricks by sneaking under. Same principle as all the people trying to grow bamboo who are driving sheet piling down into their ground in attempts to contain it. Sheet piling can contain bamboo... then sometimes it can't.

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote:
That's funny too because we still wouldn't be able to grow hardly anything else in that area because vinca is such a resource hog. I take it you've had the displeasure like me of having to control vincas?

I'd also add it might be a good idea to follow your advice above but to also seriously consider driving some sort of a barrier into the ground about a foot or so underneath the bricks so their roots don't try to make a run for the great green beyond the bricks by sneaking under. Same principle as all the people trying to grow bamboo who are driving sheet piling down into their ground in attempts to contain it. Sheet piling can contain bamboo... then sometimes it can't.
Point taken. It is a 'resource hog' ( I like that term) and I would not give it light of day either and yes, I have had to get rid of it in a garden. Took me over a year. Even so I would still say ivy is worse and fights back more. I have scraped it off a wall with a hoe and lost knuckles in the process. There is also the dust that seems to build up behind it. Gave me a cough for a week. I am at present trying to get rid of it in a bed in one garden and from under and through a hedge in another.
I just thought of two more I hate....brambles and convolvulus, still hate ivy the most.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Jess wrote:
Garden Spider wrote:
Yes Symphoricarpus suckers terribly!
In this country birds spread it indiscriminately by consuming the berries. We have natural hedgerows of beautiful buckthorn, whitethorn and hawthorn being destroyed by this awful plant. Try to dig out a mature thicket of this stuff and you will never stand straight again. I broke my 'lifetime guarantee' spade on a clump once. :evil:
I know what awful effects an invading plant can have on natural ecosystems. I find it interesting that your birds have taken to eating Symphoricarpus berries; here, the birds regard it as a "last resort" food, to be eaten only when everything else is gone. It's one that people who put in songbirds garden generally don't plant, partly because of the suckers, and partly because it has very little value as a food plant for local birds.

Around here, a big pest is the Butterfly Bush, Buddleia davidii. It's always touted as a great butterfly plant, but the reality is that it may be endangering some species of butterflies in the Pacific Northwest. It's overgrowing native willows in areas, and as a result, some butterfly species whose caterpillars feed exclusively on willows are becoming scarce. I'd love to plant some native willows, but don't think I have the space for them.

Jess
Greener Thumb

It does keep its berries well into winter and that is when the birds go for it especially pheasants. It is one of those plants that just suddenly seemed to be everywhere. It is not particularly showy but it is cheap, being easy to propogate from because of its suckering habit. Now every garden seems to have one, or more! It is turning up more and more in the hedgerows here and as usual little is done about it.
Buddleia davidii is on DEFRAS (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) invasive list at last. Took them long enough. It will grow in between paving cracks if given the chance. I do have one. :oops: but I deadhead it religiously so it cannot seed. It is a beautiful white form, not that that makes it any better, I know.
It is hard to believe it can out compete willows. Some of those are complete thugs. Which are your native willows? Which butterflies (caterpillars) use it as a food plant?
Just so you know I spent 3 hours pulling Aegopodium podagraria today. It was introduced as a food plant by the Romans apparently. The ground was just perfect. It rained all day yesterday and the sun came out today so warm and moist. Got a few roots several feet long. Very satisfying.

Miss Daisy
Newly Registered

I have a beef with these guys:

Forget me knot... trust me, you do not forget them.
Been yanking them for 5 years now... and again, a few manage to appear now and then.

Johnny Jump-Up... cute little Mickey Mouse Faces
I like them, and choose to let a few at a time live, but that is all.

Lupines... yep...
They look so beautiful when they are fresh and first come up, but when the aphids get them... arrrrggggg. Been yanking many, and yet, loads of them simply appear in a different corner of the garden. I keep hoping the aphids don't discover the new ones... hehehe. I have a love and hate relationship with them.
And stupid stupid me... I sowed some last year as I wanted some red and yellow ones. I only have pink/purple.

Perrywinkle... ARGGGGGGG.....
Still yanking it... it's been five years.

Wild Violas... arggggggg
They weren't mine.. they just kinda appeared... and man, oh man, can they take over. I'm still yanking after 6 years.

Chinese Lanterns...
Holly molly... make sure you keep them in containers. Their runners are incredible.
Again, stupid me, I went and bought seeds last week. It had been 6 years since my invasion. I decided I missed those pretty lanterns... hehehe. For sure, they will go in a pot... and picked before they burst.

Obediance... ARRRRGGGGG
Oh, how they obey you and stand straight and tall... but when you find them the next year 10' further... that's it... YANK!!!!! Still did so this weekend.

Chives... I love them... but...
They are starting to get on my nerves. They're coming a few feet further and further. Gotta keep my eye on them.

Monarda...
Yank!!!

Poppies... the regular ones...
No way... yank.

That's been my experience so far. I do have others that I need to keep an eye on. I don't mind those that grow big around the root ball such as tradescantia, but those I hate are the ones you'll find 10' later the next year.

And the ones I freely let fly everywhere, and they are a favorite...
Black eyed susan
Columbines... I yank those I don't want

OK, that's my beef for tonight. I'm sure I have more, but that's what I can think of for now.

Oh ya, ground cover to close to grass is now totally off my list.

Miss Daisy

JennyC
Green Thumb

My top candidate here is English Ivy -- I've (hopefully) rescued two native trees that were about to be pulled down by it (a dogwood and a black walnut). I may have saved a (non-native) peach tree -- we'll see, as the ivy was growing into the bark. It had also grown into the attic of this old house when we moved in and was just touching the breaker box up there! Now that would have been a disaster in another couple of months (and how does it continue to grow in a dark attic? But it does...) It had also grown through the windows (plus storm windows) and into a bedroom. It doesn't help that I react to the stuff as if it were poison ivy, which just makes the fight all the more bitter!

Second candidate is privet hedge. We're absolutely covered over. I have a problem there as my husband likes it along the fence lines (and it does provide privacy, as if we needed more privacy, remote as we are). But for now I'm living with a lot of privet, though I did cut it out of a yellowbell bush, and its days along the garden fence are numbered.

The wild roses are very aggressive here as well, but I do love 'em. I'm going to have to cut down a big bush that's growing over the top of a side shed on the barn -- it'll pull it down otherwise. But I think I'm going to wait to gather the hips first. There's also a giant one growing in my fig tree that I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut, but it's beating the fig out for sun. It's a shame, as the trunk on that rose is a good two inches thick -- it's been there a while!

And then there's the honeysuckle. I don't think we can ever get the power to the barn turned on, not without rewiring. The honeysucke has about collapsed the existing wiring (which may be two-strand, anyway -- I can't tell because of all the honeysuckle!)

At least I haven't discovered any kudzu. I can't believe the luck there. That was our constant losing battle at our old house.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Egads, you're inundated like I used to be. Keep up the good work eliminating as many of those garbage plants as you can. Maybe take photos of your property every year? You don't think you're making a dent because there's only one you and so many ickies but you really are making progress plant by plant and it becomes increasingly noticeable when comparing photos year to year. Helps me stay motivated when I look at old photos.

My husband had a bizarre attachment to some plants here. Must be a guy or a birder thing. I finally got him to agree to let me take one down that was an embarrassment to me to even be growing here. After I took my chain saw to it while he dramatically pretended to be having a grabber, I converted his beloved beast into a support for a bird bath basin. He liked the basin cradled in the notch that I left because he likes birds. I also bought him a bottle of sunscreen for his bald spot which made my removal of that nasty thing he called shade even more tolerable. He lets me get rid of Japanese Honeysuckle because I plant back more appropriate species for his birds. Multiflora rosa he points out to me to remove. We all hate those attack plants. He doesn't say much about what I remove these days. He's become very supportive as it's sinking in that his precious birds benefit from what I'm removing. He certainly does love his birds.

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote: My husband had a bizarre attachment to some plants here. Must be a guy or a birder thing. I finally got him to agree to let me take one down that was an embarrassment to me to even be growing here. After I took my chain saw to it while he dramatically pretended to be having a grabber, I converted his beloved beast into a support for a bird bath basin. He liked the basin cradled in the notch that I left because he likes birds. I also bought him a bottle of sunscreen for his bald spot which made my removal of that nasty thing he called shade even more tolerable. He lets me get rid of Japanese Honeysuckle because I plant back more appropriate species for his birds. Multiflora rosa he points out to me to remove. We all hate those attack plants. He doesn't say much about what I remove these days. He's become very supportive as it's sinking in that his precious birds benefit from what I'm removing. He certainly does love his birds.
Great tactics TheLorax! :lol:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

One day I'll take a photo of my chainsaw masterpiece and post it. The beast tree is really rather attractive now with that water basin nestled in the crook.

My husband hugged that tree at a party in front of family and friends and told everyone that HIS WIFE wanted to kill HIS tree and if I did he'd get a sun burned head while barbecuing from no shade and everyone laughed at my expense. Wasn't until I printed off some information on how weak that type of a tree was because of its rapid rate of growth combined with where it would topple that he decided it could go to tree heaven. He sits inside about 15' away from that tree remote in hand at night watching tv. Here's your sign!

Truth behind the Japanese Honeysuckle is that I asked him to help me hand pull seedlings for a few hours one nice hot day with no breeze. After that, he came to the realization on his own that the planting of more appropriate species would be a lot easier on our backs and better for his birds. He can be reasonable when provided with a subtle incentive. The Rosa multiflora and Berberis thunbergii are no brainers. Too many kids running around here for attack plants.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Morning Glory
Horse Tails
Bind weed
Ivy (Highly invasive, chokes out native flora and fauna)
Broom

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oxalis (aka Bermuda Buttercup)
Blackberries (albeit we keep a small bed of them)
English ivy
juniper
wild onion
FOXTAILS! FOXTAILS! FOXTAILS!
Star thistle
Spurge (just an annoyance, not a danger to me or my animals)
Red-stem filaree

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Trentt

I dislike all the invasive, spreading weeds (thistles, dandelions, creeping Charlie, pigweed, etc.) when they are in the garden. Out in the wild I wish them all the best.

But to shift the answer to plants that most people love and cultivate that I am not fond of, I will admit that I'm not a big fan of roses. They require such effort, they're difficult to weed because of the thorns, they get scraggly if not pruned all the time, and many of them have flowers that basically rot when they're past their prime and look hideous.

I also can't get on the same page as people who fill garden beds with hostas. I like them just fine in spots of deep shade, a few here and there, but as summer wears on they end up looking scruffy and tired and I can't abide large swathes of them.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Morning Glories
Ivy
Bamboo
Quack Grass

I've had closer encounters with all of the above and the quack grass is still winning but I'm still slugging!

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Jess wrote:It does keep its berries well into winter and that is when the birds go for it especially pheasants. It is one of those plants that just suddenly seemed to be everywhere. It is not particularly showy but it is cheap, being easy to propogate from because of its suckering habit. Now every garden seems to have one, or more! It is turning up more and more in the hedgerows here and as usual little is done about it.
Buddleia davidii is on DEFRAS (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) invasive list at last. Took them long enough. It will grow in between paving cracks if given the chance. I do have one. :oops: but I deadhead it religiously so it cannot seed. It is a beautiful white form, not that that makes it any better, I know.
It is hard to believe it can out compete willows. Some of those are complete thugs. Which are your native willows? Which butterflies (caterpillars) use it as a food plant?
Just so you know I spent 3 hours pulling Aegopodium podagraria today. It was introduced as a food plant by the Romans apparently. The ground was just perfect. It rained all day yesterday and the sun came out today so warm and moist. Got a few roots several feet long. Very satisfying.
We have several native willows: Hooker's Willow (Salix hookeriana) and Scouler's Willow (S. scouleriana) are probably the most common. We also have some shrubby willows S. exigua and S. fluviatilis, and some ground-cover type shrublets, S. arctica, S. nivalis, and S. cascadensis. The Buddleias (I believe) seed more prolifically and grow faster than the willows.

A few of the more common butterflies that use willows are Lorquin's Admiral, Mourning Cloak, and the Western Tiger Swallowtail. I'd love to attract these to my garden.

James282
Cool Member

I just bought a few aster plants and have now read that Jess would "never have them in her garden!" I was just wondering what the main problems are with them. They seem to be so pretty and I hope that they can have a place on my property somewhere!

NewjerseyTea

James, most asters are wonderful plants in NJ and many are native. What kind did you purchase?
I don't want to answer for Jess but it might have something to do with the fact Jess is in England I believe.

James282
Cool Member

NewjerseyTea wrote:James, most asters are wonderful plants in NJ and many are native. What kind did you purchase?
I don't want to answer for Jess but it might have something to do with the fact Jess is in England I believe.
NJ Tea,

Thanks for your response! I bought honeysong purple stokes aster...Stokesia Laevis. I think my nursery is generally very responsible when it comes to the plants they sell, so maybe you are right that these will be a good fit around here. They look beautiful and I hope they can stick! I will be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Thanks!

James

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Jess inquired why I dislike some of the plants I refuse to use. I've been meaning to reply earlier but work demands and a crashed computer delayed my response.
I look at all plants through a highly subject cost:benefit lens. I'm considering the foliage and general architecture of the plant, maintenance demands and insect and disease issues, potential longevity, fragrance, ruggedness, bird or pollinating insect virtues, etc. There is no formal grading system, just my gut response having worked with them in many gardens.

Monarda cultivars just don't make the cut. Between aggressive rhizomes, powdery mildew (not mention rust and leaf spot), and not particularly interesting foliage even when healthy there just aren't enough positives to justify planting it.
Centauera montana is another plant with aggressive rhizomes and tendency to seed heavily if not deadheaded, floppy foliage, and a liking for frequent division add up to making it not worth its keep.
Tradescantias are another plant with floppy, undistinguished foliage. They are time consuming to deadhead properly, short lived, prone to spread, and don't come true should they self seed - why bother
Macleaya cordata has far more architectural/foliage merit than the three plants above BUT it is even more thuggish in its behavior and tends to dye the gardener or his/her clothing in the process of battling it. This almost skates by but not quite.
Rudbeckias are a mixed bag. 'Goldstrum' is dead easy but way over used. The rather hard yellow can be a challenge. Oddly, I rarely see major slug issues with it and Maine has tons of slugs albeit just little guys relative to the Pacific Northwest. Rudbeckia lacinata is a big thug. R. maxima and occasionally R. nitida I do use.
Add Physostegia virginiana, except perhaps for 'Miss Manners' (the jury is still out), and most Lysmachias to my "why bother" list.
Although there are bunch of worthless cultivars there are some really nice Asters. I'm quite fond of the better Aster latiflorus, and Aster oblongifolius cultivars and, with reservations, I like some selections among the Dumosus group, Aster sedifolius, Aster cordifolius, Aster ericoides and Aster laevis. Most A. novae-angliae and A. novi-belgii and cultivars fail my cost:benefit test.
Anemone x hybrida would be a good example of a PIA plant whose virtues out weigh the considerable demands. I am always on the look out for places with physical barrier where I can use it without having to wrestle with it every other year.
Last edited by MaineDesigner on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheshirekat

I don't like weeds. They nearly make me insane. They sneak into my strawberries. They fill up my flower beds so I can't tell which are the seeds I just planted. They grow tall in the backyard and the dogs don't want to wade through them, so they poop on the sidewalk. I wish I had the energy to pull them all up each and every day.

I don't like Ivy. IT gives me the creeps when I see them growing up the sides of houses. Spiders like Ivy.

I don't like Iris. When we first bought this house, there was Iris growing on the south side. I didn't like the smell of them and wanted an herb garden on the south side. I pulled the Iris. It grew back. I pulled more. It grew back again. I dug them up. They grew back. The hubby rototilled four times and they still grew back. I gave up. Since then, I have never liked Iris. We have let that side be taken over by nature. Volunteer trees of some kind filled in, grew thick and finally choked out the Iris. The birds hang out there a lot. They are glad I didn't win the battle with the Iris.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”