mksmithy95
Newly Registered

lilly shoots eaten

My shoot on my Lilly's have just appeared but something has nibbled the shoot, will it stop growing?
Attachments
IMAG1662.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you have deer in your neighborhood? Deer love to eat various bulbs like lilies and tulips like that. Unfortunately, I think it is pretty questionable whether your bulb can recover from damage like that. The leaves and stem that come up are already present in the bulb and when they are gone, they are gone.

applestar
Mod

In Asia, lily bulbs are eaten by peeling the corm layers kind of like onion. So I think Asian lilies must be particularly tasty. Was yours Asian?

I lost the super fragrant Oriental lilies first, and am slowly losing the brightly colored Asian lilies -- I believe to chipmunks. They actually tunnel and burrow around the base of the Lilly bulbs. I know these are not holes made by the moles because the holes are bigger and extensively networked.

My proof positive appeared that one year when a WHOLE CLUSTER of sunflower seedlings popped up where a gorgeous Stargazer lily used to be. (No, Chippie, I DID NOT agree to this inferior trade! :evil: )

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”