315jny
Newly Registered

Lonely Tree... Help Him Find Friends!!

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the gardening world and I been searching online for ideas for my back yard. I enclosed a photo to show you what I'm working with. I have a lonely tree and after looking online I was thinking about building a flower bed around him? I got the idea from this site https://flowerbeddesigns.net/

Now I never did a flower bed before but I was liking the photos.. Since I'm new to this I was wondering your thoughts?

Flower bed around the tree? if so, any suggestions please?

Many thanks!
Attachments
backyard30012015022751PM.jpg
backyard30012015022751PM.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like flower beds around trees, if you are willing to be generous with it, give it a good amount of space. I hate the little ring of hostas around trees that you frequently see.

and that isn't even the worst example of it - at least it's not just a single ring of spaced out hostas surrounded by mulch.

All out of scale with the tree, adding nothing to it.

In my view an island bed would be stepped down: tree, to shrub, to taller plants, to low plants, so they are all in some relation to each other.

I had trouble even finding a good picture of what I'm talking about, but a little bit like this, if it had been built around the tree in the background: (click on picture to enlarge it and see better what I am talking about)

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tqQRxH8lxu4/T ... C03007.JPG

can't make any plant suggestions unless you tell us where you are located. Welcome to the forum!

catgrass
Green Thumb

What kind of tree is it? That would help in identifying what type of plants to go under it.

LeaSmea

Is the tree full grown? If not make sure you leave a bit of room for the trunk to grow if you decide on any shrubs/perennials.

I agree with rainbow gardener that the hosta ring is overused and kinda blah visually. You could always do a raised bed. You don't even have to do a perfect circle, I like when the bed is irregularly shaped to add some interest. If you're willing to lose the lawn space you could even contour the entire back corner up to the fence.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”