Jai_Ganesha

poppies

Do you grow poppies? If so, which kind?

This year I am experimenting with growing some, and I've gotten several different varieties. Apparently my area is one where poppies will either do very well, or not grow at all, depending on heat/moisture variability. I've experienced late springs in the high 90s (poppy death) and in the low 50s (poppy heaven).

I got seedlings from double Shirley poppies, single Shirley poppies, breadseed poppies, and California poppies already sprouted and growing this year. I'm dumb, so I planted them together and I can't (yet) tell which seedlings are which...

Jai_Ganesha

I'm sad that I got no replies, but I do have one small update.

This spring has been TREMENDOUSLY wet, and most of my poppies have washed away or drowned. I have been able to successfully move a few to a large pot where they can be kept dry with a clear plastic panel overhead.

I think most of the ones I've managed to save are the Shirley poppies, with maybe a few breadseed poppies. If they grow well, check back here in a couple months for pictures! :)

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Sorry, I didn't reply, I haven't grown poppies in years. I use to grow the California Poppy, I think. I got the seed from my sister. I just haven't grown many flowers lately. I turned my flower bed into a strawberry patch and the garden is full and my puppy last year was in training and even though he had 13 acres to dig up, potted plants were one of his favorites but he is much better this year.

Please do pictures.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I am trying to get a poppy bed going. A couple survived the winter Oriental and Iceland I believe. I will be planting some California soon. An older gent down the road has his front yard covered in them. I think once you get them going the re-seed fairly easy. I have a few in starter trays but they are very slow to germinate and grow for me.

Jai_Ganesha

Poppies REQUIRE a cold period before growing. That means you can sow them directly on the ground in winter (mid February) and just leave them alone. The constant freezing and unthawing changes the chemical composition of the seed coat and encourages them to "wait" until the right time for germination.

Without this natural freezing-and-thawing, germination is really low. They also need light to germinate (don't bury them).

However, because they need to be exposed and because they need it to be cold and warm then cold and warm repeatedly they are prone to being washed away by rains before or after sprouting (which is what I'm dealing with, my poppies have been in the ground for several weeks now).

Plant all your poppy seeds RIGHT NOW. You may still get some blooms, but the most common mistake is waiting too longer. Unlike most flower seeds they require the cold to really do well.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”