CJH
Newly Registered

Does The Ground Cover Exist?

I hope I have this in the right place. The reason I titled this topic the way I did is because I need a ground cover with lots of characteristics that may not be realistic. I need a fairly low growing, relatively low maintenance, and fast growing (aggressive) ground cover. It also needs to cover a large area on a slight hillside with partial shade to full sun and to top it off, with poor soil. If that's not enough I would like for it to look attractive in the wintertime as it will be used in a winter garden. I live in Northern Alabama. Hot, humid, drought prone summers and cold wet winters. So is there any plant that fits that criteria or am I out of luck?

imafan26
Mod

There are a lot of ground covers that meet most of your criteria except for winter. I have hot humid sunny weather most of the year and no snow, just winter storms.

How much snow do you get and how cold does it get?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sure it does - it's the stuff most of us hate, for it's aggressive qualities, but for you they probably work:

mondo grass
spreading/ prostrate juniper (not as fast growing as some of the others)
euonymous
bearberry
cotoneaster
ajuga/ carpet bugle
ice plant
oregano
creeping phlox
vinca (for the part shade areas, doesn't like full sun)
blue star creeper
creeping thyme
ivy
lysimachia/ creeping jenny

CJH
Newly Registered

Thanks folks. Not much snow but usually gets in the teens a few times. Temp varies from day to day. Last month we had 70 degrees and a day and a half later, 8 inches of snow.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”