Jai_Ganesha

easy cut flowers

I am super gay and love cut flowers. However, I'm also super simple, lazy, and cheap (haha).

Traditionally, zinnias, bachelor's buttons, dahlias, and cosmos are favorites of mine because they're easy to grow, easy to cut, and easy to arrange.

What else should I try this year? I'm open to any suggestions, but especially those which can be grown in small areas or in large containers and have a long bloom season.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Get a perennial bed started, even if small. It may take a year out to get enough flowers for cutting, but worth it! Suggestions include coneflower, shasta daisy, a salvia. Russian sage is easy, just needs to be cut back now and again. It has nice light lavender blooms, bees all over it, and makes a good 'fill' in your cut flower vase.

Jai_Ganesha

Unfortunately I'm moving in September or October. I do have some perennials started though, for the next occupants of this house...

catgrass
Green Thumb

Gerber daisies. I have some growing in a large pot and love these flowers. They last a long time, too. They are prone to fungal diseases, though, so you might want to research them a little bit.

Jai_Ganesha

Thank you. I will look into them.

Is it the same kind of fungus that zinnias get? If you spray them with milk (no really) it actually stops and prevents the fungus. I don't know why...but it works!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Jai - welcome to the forum.

Where are you moving to? Will you be in the same county and state?

With information on your new location I will send you links on cut flower gardening specific to your region.

Waiting to hear from you.

Jai_Ganesha

I don't know yet. I just finished grad school last year, so it's kinda up in the air still. It will mostly likely be West Virginia or central Florida (very different climates, I know)!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Congrats on your graduation. Once you decide on a location let me know. PM if you want. I will find good information for you regardless of where you settle.

I like doing research for forum members.

Good luck

catgrass
Green Thumb

No, not leaf spot like zinnias get, this starts at the base of the plant, and kills off leaves one by one-put the plant survives. I am going to use a systemic fungicide/insecticide this year and see if this helps. I just love this flower, and it grows well in the large pot I have it in. I was hoping Elizabeth would weigh in on this, I'm sure she's had some experience with Gerber daisies.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”