nightjasmine
Newly Registered

Help! Dying Sunflower.

Hello. I'm new in gardening and I bought a sunflower during our anniversary. I bought it last feb 15,2015 - just a couple of days ago. I brought it with one flower already in bloom and a couple of promising buds. I found a shop in Tagaytay, Philippines which is a cold place since it's near the mountain top but I had to bring it down to the city where I live which is a warmer place. I understand there was huge difference in temperature but I was told that it could also survive a warm place so I had hopes. But in a couple of days it went from blooming to drooping. I water it once - twice a day ( I'm on night shift so I had less opportinity to water in the morning since I come home around noon. I water it around 10pm when I'm about to go to work,) please tell me if this is the case or if there's something else I need to do. :(
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

It's interesting and surprising to me that they were even selling sunflowers in pots there -- sunflowers are annual -- one time blooming -- and very short lived as open flowers as far as I know. Is this a common practice?

You'll see some progression photos of some sunflowers I had growing this summer:
Subject: Sunflower is blooming!

As the name implies, sunflowers need a lot of direct sun. They also have very large and deep root system and they are very thirsty plants.

Even if your sunflower is either a dwarf variety and was purposefully grown stunted in this pot, but I'm still somewhat skeptical that you would have been able to keep it in good condition.

To an extremely skeptical part of me, it seems just as possible that the plant had been freshly dug up and stuffed in the pot the morning when it was sold. I have no idea.

nightjasmine
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply. :) Does it mean I have to put it in a garden? or can I just transfer it to a larger pot or maybe a pail? I saw a lot of shops with potted sunflowers during our trip so I really didn't know if they just dug it before going to the shop for display. My old university also had sunflowers planted during summer season to symbolize the ending of schoolyear so I thought since it's nearly summer, maybe it was possible to grow one now..

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”