st1977
Newly Registered

Beginner with jasmine

Hello, I am a complete beginner with jasmine plants and this is probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer. I have night jasmine (which I understand is not a true jasmine), and two types of arabian jasmine (maid of orleans and grand duke). On the grand duke, the flowers just die on the branch. What am I supposed to do? Should I cut them off or let the plant drop it off when it's ready? On the maid of orleans, after the flower falls, the little "setting" that held the flower on the plant is still there. Do I leave this alone so it produces more flowers, or do I cut it? Same for the night jasmine, do I need to cut off the flowers once they are done blooming?
Thank you for your help!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi ST,

You can cut back your night jasmine after blooming to keep it more compact and from producing lots of seeds and plants or let it produce seeds you can harvest.

For your Jasmine 'Maid of Orleans' you can prune after flowering to keep it compact just as above.

Your Jasmine 'Grand Duke' is probably Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'. You can prune off the spent flowers to make it look better.

Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”