jeh

Boxwood and Waxleaf Privet Problems

Privet closeup
Privet closeup
Hi Everybody, Having some problems with both. The BOXWOOD just plain doesn't look good, as you can see in the 2 photos, and hasn't for quite awhile. It's in a sunny location and gets watered about 1x a week. Gets fertilizer 2 or 3 times a year.

The PRIVET - I planted 10 privet a year ago. All are doing well except this one (see pictures). It's also in full sun getting water 1x a week. Fertilized 2 or 3 times a year. What's interesting about this particular plant is that the new growth toward the back is beautiful, so I don't think it's just a lack of iron.

I live in a mild SoCal area. Soil is amended clay. Any ideas? Thanks!
Attachments
Boxwood closeup
Boxwood closeup
Boxwood
Boxwood
Privet
Privet

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The boxwood looks like it may be diseased.

The privet is clearly chlorotic -lacking in chlorophyll, especially in the interveinal areas. Chlorosis is not only caused by iron deficiency. It can be deficiencies of other nutrients, including nitrogen and magnesium. But also chlorosis can be caused by poor drainage, damaged roots, compacted roots, high alkalinity [which makes it difficult for the plant to uptake nutrients from the soil, even though they are present], and exposure to pesticides or sulfur dioxide. So some of the roots may have gotten compacted or damaged, even though the rest have not. Or part of the plant might have gotten sprayed with something damaging.

jeh

Yeah, I thought of a few of those things, and the only reason I discounted them is because none of the other 9 plants are having any problem. Also, I think it's interesting that only about half of this plant is affected. But damaged roots as you mentioned could be the caused of these. I'm wondering if there might be some disease going on that would make getting rid of the plant a wise move. What do you think?

LIcenter

I read a couple months back in my local paper about some sort of blight attacking boxwoods. Wish I could remember what it was called. It didn't say anything about privet though. My boxwoods have a yellow tinge to them also, but not as extreme as yours. I did cut back on watering them, which did seem to help some.

jeh

I'll have to do a little research to see if I can find anything on that blight. Thanks for the info.

LIcenter

I was doing a little driving around, and happened to notice that discoloration on many of the privets in my area. I know there is a variegated type of privet, so I never really paid it any mind. But now looking more closely they all have exactly what you describe. Here is what I found concerning Privet, and Boxwoods. Links below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce.cor ... 1410527471

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce.cor ... 1410527450

jeh

Wow, that's some interesting info. Scary, but interesting. Thanks for sending.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”