Kageri

meadow garden

I just moved in to a house with lots of annual vegetable garden space but I don't use that many vegetables. I want to take a rather large chunk and plant flowers. There are mixes on american meadows that I like so I would just be broadcast sowing without defined beds or mulching around the flowers. The area though is somewhat taken over by what I've IDed as Galinsoga ciliata, quickweed. I got rid of some sections by laying down cardboard and the rabbits like it. I'm not sure if I will till in the spring. The soil is loose and the borrowed old tiller is a pain. Do I need to get rid of the ciliata or will the wildflowers steadily crowd it out until it's just a small part of the mix?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You will need to get rid of the quickweed. It is established and your wildflowers will just be struggling to start from seed. The quickweed will win.

Kageri

I guess anything I plant to crowd the weeds will then crowd my flowers. I might have to cardboard and newspaper with a layer of compost. Bad back, bad knees, bad heart... I can't handpick the weeds and only moderate hoeing and raking.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”