jeh

Agapanthus tip "burn"

Hi - I live in Southern California where the weather is mild and agapanthus are everywhere. I have some myself. As a general rule, the tips of the leaves look burned on agapanthus planted in sun (or maybe it's not a burn but something else?), yet they are a sun plant. However, aggies planted in shade or semi-shade don't seem to have this problem. They look beautiful. Does anyone know what causes the tips to do this or how to deal with it? Since I see it everywhere, I'm thinking it's normal. But it sure looks ugly. :cry:
Attachments
Closeup
Closeup
In sunny location, tips burned
In sunny location, tips burned
IMG_7524_web.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
Agapanthus in shady area, no tip burn
Agapanthus in shady area, no tip burn
IMG_7525_web.jpg (135.58 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

imafan26
Mod

I think the tip burn is probably from heat and a little too much sun. I actually do not have that problem and my plants are more or less in full sun for most of the day. They are grown under taller shrubs so they get full sun since the bed faces east and in the afternoon between the shrubs and the fence behind it, it ends up in moving shade.

jeh

Yeah, it sure looks like 'sunburn'. It's frustrating, though, since everything says they like full sun. And I don't live in a really hot climate. Ah, well. Thanks so much for your info!

catgrass
Green Thumb

It may be that those planted in the sun are not getting enough water. The heat will dry out the leaves, and top part of the soil. I know that it potted plants, leaf tip burn indicates the plant is not getting enough water to maintain the whole plant. Maybe water those in the sun more than those in the shade.

imafan26
Mod

Agapanthus are pretty drought tolerant and they have a storage bulb so unless the leaves are curling too, water is probably not the issue. Too much water would make the bulbs rot. Since the ones in the shade are fine, I think it is just from the intensity of the sun.

jeh

Ok, thanks for the input!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”