zanthal

Pruning Mammoth Sunflowers

I could use some advice on pruning these Mammoths I have. They're at about 2 and a half feet in height.

I have a few wilted leaves, should I prune away the wilted part and leave the rest, prune the whole leaf, or just leave it alone?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum board, but this is as close as I could find to my flower type ... maybe there should be an Annuals board?

applestar
Mod

I might move this to Flower Gardening. :wink:

I leave the wilted leaves on the stalk until 50% or more has browned and/or overly spotty and ugly. Wilting seems to be normal and doesn't affect their growth or flowering, but be sure to give them deep drinks of water -- their roots go down deep and they are thirsty plants.

Here's a thread about my sunflowers this year: :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =8&t=59129

zanthal

How did I miss flower gardening?

But you answered my question expertly, thank you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

It is also OK to support loosely sunflower stalks with a tall pole.

zanthal

They're still standing straight, but if I had put one more day between watering that probably wouldn't be the case.

They are very thirsty plants, they need 2-3 gallons a day each, skip one day and the tips of the large leaves start wilting and all of the leaves begin drooping down.

They're getting hot California sun many hours every day so I'm sure that's part of it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone, you've been very helpful to me. :D

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”