sonflowerjoela
Newly Registered

hyacinth bean vine

I'm looking for tips on how to grow this from seed. I was told to soak in water 24 hrs and then put in paper towels until they germinate and they just got stinky! :cry: Can anyone advise me on how to germinate these seeds? Thanks, Joela

gardenz

I've grown Hyacinth Bean (Dolichos lablab) for several seasons. While you don't necessarily have to soak the seeds overnight, it does help hasten germination if you do soak them. There's no need to put them in a paper towel afterward because - as you found out - they'll rot.

After soaking, plant them either directly outside after all danger of frost is past in your area/zone or start them inside in individual pots or containers 3-4 weeks before your last frost-free date in early spring. That's how I started mine. My last frost-free date here in my zone 7A garden is late April-early May so I seeded them around early April.

They're beautiful vines, and make sure to save a couple of pods from the vine at the end of the season. Inside those pods will be seeds you can save to plant next season. :)

sonflowerjoela
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! :) Do you ever have any problem with them growing into the ground instead of out of it? The same person that told me about paper towels told me that. That is why he said to put them in paper towel.
I appreciate you helping me with this. Joela

gardenz

No, Joela, I've never had that happen w/any bean seed of any kind. Hyacinth beans, like other bean seeds and morning glory seeds, too, don't have to be placed in the ground in any specific direction. Their "natural instinct" is to seek the light and oxygen above ground. Even some bulbs for instance, which do have a specific planting direction, if they're planted upside down, will somehow manage to "right" themselves and grow. Nature's a lot smarter than we mere mortal gardeners. :wink:

Generally speaking, the only reason to place any kind of seeds in a damp paper towel is to check their germination rate. IOW, to see if old seeds are still viable.

Glad to be of help. :)

Linda
[url=https://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com]My Blog: GARDENZ OWN[/url]

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”