TLL

sweet peas not blooming!

I have three pots of sweet peas growing very well along a teepee, yet no blooms! The plants are busy, about 2 feet tall, and yet nothing?!? They are in a location where they get probably a good 5 -6 hours of sun a day - could they need more? Anything I can do to encourage the amazing fragrant blossoms??

Help! :?
TLL

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

Everything sounds perfect. All you need is a feed that is high in phosphorous to encourage lots of blooms. In case you don't know on every packet/bottle of plant food there is a label stating the N.P.K. ratios.

N = Nitrogen. Nitrogen is the first major element responsible for the vegetative growth of plants above ground. With a good supply, plants grow sturdily and mature rapidly, with rich, dark green foliage.

P = Phosphorus. The second major element in plant nutrition, phosphorus is essential for healthy growth, strong roots, fruit and flower development, and greater resistance to disease.

K = Potassium (Potash). The third major plant nutrient, potassium oxide is essential for the development of strong plants. It helps plants to resist diseases, protects them from the cold and protects during dry weather by preventing excessive water loss.

Organic is best. Avoid Miracle grow.

tiggs&oscar

Jess,

Why not miracle-gro?

TO

Jess
Greener Thumb

I thought someone would ask me that. Any synthetic feed is detrimental. Nature is 'natural' and nothing man made can compare.
Miracle grow is the worst as far as myself and many of my colleagues (who are also organic growers) are concerned. It is also over advertised and over priced. It is not a problem in pots so much but when the soil is finished with in the pot where are you going to put it? In your compost heap? In the garden?
Check this link. Puts it more eloquently than wot I can! :lol:
https://davesgarden.com/terms/go/2307/

TLL

Thanks so much Jess! Will try that. :)

I stopped using Miracle Grow a few years ago.... there was just something about that neon blue that signaled 'no no' for me! And then I'd read the evidence against... :shock:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Glad I could help and even more glad you don't use the 'blue goo' :lol:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”