rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

moonflower vine came back from seed!

Last year I had a huge moonflower vine and seeds coming out my ears. So most of them I dried and stored, but just as an experiment, I just stuck a few in the ground. Literally I just pushed some fresh seed into the soil, some actually in the ground and some in one of the deck containers and then forgot about it and did nothing else. This was probably October or so when I was collecting all the last seeds ahead of frost coming.

So I really had forgotten I did that, until today when I discovered them sprouting! There are three of them in the pot, which is most of what I planted there, and they just have seed leaves. Then I discovered in the ground three more that are foot long vines. So they must have gotten started a little sooner, in a sunnier location. And it was such a fierce winter! It looks like the germination percent was actually better than the ones I babied indoors (soaked and nicked and planted on the heat mat).

I may do this every year! :) If they survived this past winter, they should survive anything. Moonflower is a tropical perennial. Who would have thought its seeds would be so cold hardy. (The plant itself of course would never make it.)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”