rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what blooms yellow at the time of iris?

So I have all these beautiful purple iris:

but the thing is, that is supposed to be a purple and yellow bed. Earlier it had purple and yellow crocus and purple and yellow pansies and then it had purple and yellow tulips. Later it will have yellow daylilies and black eyed susans and yarrow and in the fall it has Jerusalem artichokes, but for right now it is a purple bed. I know I could get yellow iris, but I would prefer to have something different, keep it mixed (and anyway the iris are kind of a pain, they multiply so rampantly). What might be blooming yellow right now, in this transition time between spring bloomers and summer bloomers?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, a little tour: in the top picture, you can see in the background similar flower garden on the other side of the yard.

In the foreground garden, there's a clump of purple and lavender blooms just left of center. Just above that are leaves of the lilac tree. Just behind the leaves, you get just a glimpse of straight bluish line, which is the frame of my front lawn veggie bed.

And in between there's our "polyculture" lawn, which when freshly mowed like that, looks just as green and lawn-like as the neighbors, but is about as much clover, violets, dandelions, creeping Charlie, etc as it is grass.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh jeez... all I did was re-name that album. I didn't realize that would break all the links. I wonder how many other pictures I posted are looking like this?

here's the iris pictures again:

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

The only May bloomer that is yellow that I could think of are violets??

Most of the others are more June through September bloomers that you seem to have like daylillies, coneflowers, BE Susans..... :)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

How about poppy. The guy down the road has his whole front yard in orange poppy in bloom. I hit the brakes thinking "why does he still have tulips". I am geeting some seeds from him when they brown. I'm sure you could find a yellow poppy that would stand tall with the iris.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

thanks, I like the idea of poppies! :)

I looked back at some of my previous years' photos and realized that those beds used to have sundrops and basket of gold blooming with the iris and all that got crowded out. I think I have to dig a ton of stuff out and re-plant.

applestar
Mod

Golden Alexanders
image.jpg
...or you *could* plant yellow German iris...
image.jpg
:idea:) (We should trade some corms -- are they called corms? Rhizomes? Tubers? Then we'll both have purple and yellow iris growing together )

pinksand
Greener Thumb

My sundrops don't bloom until my irises are starting to look a bit rough. I wish you lived closer so I could give you some because I have more than I could ever imagine wanting ;) I'm constantly ripping them out.

Poppies are a great idea! What about yellow columbine? I just visited Longwood Gardens in PA last week and they had some gorgeous 3-4' tall varieties of columbine!

imafan26
Mod

Yellow saxatile alyssum. It would make a good border around the irises.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I think the alyssum saxatile is the same thing I was calling basket of gold.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I snapped a pic of the poppy yard. I never thought of poppy as a big flower. Lots of yellow varieties to choose from.

imafan26
Mod

Yeah. Saxatile alyssum has a common name of "Basket of Gold". I think it is called Aurinia Saxatile now. It is closely related to alyssum, but I guess the genetics were different enough to change the name and give it its' own genus. Common sweet alyssum is lobularia maritima now, but I just know them as alyssum.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I can’t really improve upon the Alyssum and Poppy suggestions. I do want to suggest however, adding some garden ornaments. Something bold and yellow might really stand out as a focal point for the rest of the pretty blooms. Love the photos of your garden—thanks for sharing it with all of us!

farlutti
Newly Registered

Baptisia sphaerocarpa is one of my favorite yellow plants. I'll try to snap some pictures of mine and post later.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lantana is perennial here if it's planted near something to keep it warm. Mine dies back to the roots every winter and has come back 5 years counting! :() ( Although late this year...I was worried) Very vigorous! Very densely flowered with ZERO nurturing. I bought this one for .50 half dead at Wally World!!! (Score!!!) This bed had pear cactus in it previously.
Luuuuurve purple and yellow!

I'm partial to butter yellow petunias too!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

farlutti, you reminded me, I had always intended to try some baptisia in there and then the beds got too full. I think part of the problem is that those flower beds have just gotten over crowded over the years. I thin some every year, but this fall I think I need to do a major renovation to get them back towards what I originally had in mind.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”