evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Help me plan my winter vegetables and herbs please

Hi all

My vegetable garden is looking sad because I have not worked on it, cleaned it up or even watered it in ages. (I was really sick so I have barely left my bed or the couch)

So now I feel a bit better and I went out this past weekend to check things out. My peppadew had fallen over and is going yellow, probably because the lemon verbena is going crazy above it and it doesn't get enough sun. Everything was dry and most plants had died. The butternuts had all fallen to mildew. The place was a mess!

So we started to clean up. I wish I took a proper 'before' picture but I did take one now. Once we are done I would like to plant for winter. I'll do some by seed and those that are too late I'll just buy seedlings.

In the mean time though, I thought maybe you could all give me ideas?

https://360.io/YpqSgh
click on the link to get a 360 degree picture

This is the garden in all it's messy glory. Please ignore the piles of leaves and dodgy butternut plant. The peppadew plants in the main garden are big and weedy. I am not sure if I should leave them for now until the frosts come in properly or if I should cut them back/take them out now. Also, should I leave the lemon verbena to do it's thing or can I start to trim it back for winter (not all the way, just to let in the sun)?

Oh and I'm taking out the bowl in the little garden to make space for proper planting.

This is not an overly sunny garden but these do well; lettuce, chard, mustard, broad beans, peas, violas and calendula in one sunny area. Anything else I can try?

imafan26
Mod

It is not too bad, mine is worse it is mostly weeds.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Lol your vegetable garden?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”