indepspirit

New home in new gardening zone will this work?

I recently moved to Southern CA and have purchased a mobile home. While I'm not new to gardening I am new to this garden zone. I'm used to gardening in zone 5b and now I'm in 11a or 10b (live in Riverside CA near LA). The soil is different (hard and clay like) and I know the summers will be hotter. The place was a mess and all rock hard dirt when I moved in but I have transformed it to a nice patio and have added plants around it so I can enjoy the warm summers. There were a few plants that were dying off that I used and the rest are from plants I already had or free ones from Craigslist. So am trying to find out if the plants will survive the warmer climates and how to help them survive the heat. So here is what I have done so far.
Along the carport I planted 2 types of Jade plants that I had and used red apple as ground cover around the beds. I know a lot of people don't like the red apple but I do is easy to trim back and will cover quickly (plus it was free from my neighbors yard). I'm hopping that the jade will grow into bush like formations and make a nice row divider.
Along the carport I planted 2 types of Jade plants that I had and used red apple as ground cover around the beds. I know a lot of people don't like the red apple but I do is easy to trim back and will cover quickly (plus it was free from my neighbors yard). I'm hopping that the jade will grow into bush like formations and make a nice row divider.
Attachments
The Bougainvillea was already here but was a mess. I trimmed it way back and put up some plastic mesh to help shape it and keep it neat. I have always thought they looked nice but have never grown one before so any help on how to keep it "tame" would be welcomed.
The Bougainvillea was already here but was a mess. I trimmed it way back and put up some plastic mesh to help shape it and keep it neat. I have always thought they looked nice but have never grown one before so any help on how to keep it "tame" would be welcomed.
These two bushes I dug out of someones yard from Craigslist. Not sure what they are but am hopping that they will grow into a bush that will fill out this space along the house.
These two bushes I dug out of someones yard from Craigslist. Not sure what they are but am hopping that they will grow into a bush that will fill out this space along the house.
I built me a small waterfall and planted a Pothos in front of it. I have had success with growing Pothos outdoors before and am hopping that it will grow around the rocks and add a touch of color to the waterfall. If it doesn't survive anybody have any suggestions of something similar that I can plant that will?
I built me a small waterfall and planted a Pothos in front of it. I have had success with growing Pothos outdoors before and am hopping that it will grow around the rocks and add a touch of color to the waterfall. If it doesn't survive anybody have any suggestions of something similar that I can plant that will?
The jade bush I already had and know it will grow just about anywhere. The fire bush in the back I transplanted from my neighbors yard. She wanted to get rid of it because she said she found out it was poisonous. Not sure how much water it needs or how to take care of it but it looked to be a succulent so hopping it will grow well in Southern CA . The cinder blocks I planted with Forget-me-not and Sweet Alyssum I had. Not sure if they will tolerate the heat but they are partially shaded and this side of the house gets late afternoon and evening sun. If anyone has any good suggestions of a flower I can plant in them let me know please.
The jade bush I already had and know it will grow just about anywhere. The fire bush in the back I transplanted from my neighbors yard. She wanted to get rid of it because she said she found out it was poisonous. Not sure how much water it needs or how to take care of it but it looked to be a succulent so hopping it will grow well in Southern CA . The cinder blocks I planted with Forget-me-not and Sweet Alyssum I had. Not sure if they will tolerate the heat but they are partially shaded and this side of the house gets late afternoon and evening sun. If anyone has any good suggestions of a flower I can plant in them let me know please.
These plants were laying along the back wall of the house. They look to me to be some sort of agave, but the leafs are smooth and don't have those little prickly things on them. They seemed to have some roots on them so I transplanted them. Not sure if the curve in the stem is normal (as one is straight).
These plants were laying along the back wall of the house. They look to me to be some sort of agave, but the leafs are smooth and don't have those little prickly things on them. They seemed to have some roots on them so I transplanted them. Not sure if the curve in the stem is normal (as one is straight).

indepspirit

Continuing on only 6 attachments allowed :D That's about it for now on to the front of the house and see what I can do there.
Attachments
This is the second flower box along the porch and it also has sweet peas in it. Not sure how well they will do in Southern CA because I know when I grew them before they didn't like the heat all that much. If they don't work was thinking maybe of planting morning glories instead. I want to plant something in them that will have flowers and grow up the wall of the porch. So if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
This is the second flower box along the porch and it also has sweet peas in it. Not sure how well they will do in Southern CA because I know when I grew them before they didn't like the heat all that much. If they don't work was thinking maybe of planting morning glories instead. I want to plant something in them that will have flowers and grow up the wall of the porch. So if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
I built a flower box along the front porch and planted sweet peas in it. I had a few that were already growing and the rest are seeds that I already had. I realize that it may have been to late to plant the sweet peas this year for them to bloom but will see how it goes.
I built a flower box along the front porch and planted sweet peas in it. I had a few that were already growing and the rest are seeds that I already had. I realize that it may have been to late to plant the sweet peas this year for them to bloom but will see how it goes.
This Ficus tree (or I think it is a Ficus) I got from the same place as the bushes. I am hopping that I can let it grow some and then keep it trimmed as a short tree.
This Ficus tree (or I think it is a Ficus) I got from the same place as the bushes. I am hopping that I can let it grow some and then keep it trimmed as a short tree.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

How exciting to learn a new gardening zone, and what a beautiful place you have! It’s clear you have a decorator/gardening eye. My suggestion would be for the 2nd flower box. I think your idea of morning glories is a good one, but I would suggest Japanese Morning Glory as it’s said to be a tougher variety. I’ve grown it myself, and although I'm not in your zone, I know people grow it in California.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”