Rairdog
Green Thumb

Finished my rock garden

This has been under water 3 times since Christmas. The tulips I planted last fall all came up so I added some more rock to cover up a muddy spot from the dog and people traffic. Calvin's poop peninsula.
I planted some viola which I hope will come back with the tulips. Around the maple is iris and day lilies which have survived for 10 years of flooding and rocks piled on them. On the part shade side I planted periwinkle with the tulips. I also put in some nasturtium, columbine and foxglove along the back. The black dirt looked good with the stone so I broke the cardinal rule of my floodplain yard and put to bags of mulch down. The new neighbor down the street just did his whole yard and it washed away in 2 weeks. I figure it will last until next spring and 2 bags are pretty cheap to replace.

I'm new to flowers and perennials so any suggestions would help. I was thing about succulents or something more in the rocks. It is so root bound it is hard to dig a hole.

I am also looking for ideas for this space. It is old asphalt and gravel that gets flooded about a foot deep. Most floods are done by may. I was thinking about a rock wicking bed or strawbale garden for strawberries and some other veggies. It get sun from 11 am to sunset.

gardeningwithe

Succulents sounds like a nice choice... now I'll have to think on the other area and get back to ya :0)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

gardeningwithe wrote:Succulents sounds like a nice choice... now I'll have to think on the other area and get back to ya :0)
Thanks. I'm on a bad roll! I bought chinese wisteria, climbing hydrangea and periwinkle.

I put the wisteria at the corner post if front of pic. I plan on training it up and around to other posts and up to top of rail. Maybe add some arches under decking between posts.

The periwinkle is in this bed. It is pretty contained with rock and I thought it might grow under stairs on top of rock. Will it choke out the tulips?

I was planning on putting the climbing hydrandea at the right of stairs. I have plenty of wood and pvc lattice. Wood seems a better choice for the tendrils.

Also if you look down the North wall by the boat there is a bunch of old chunks of concrete. I was thinking of putting periwinkle there to cover up the concrete chunks. Another option would be to move the chunks to the asphalt area and make a raised or wicking bed. Then I could fill in the gaps between chunks of concrete with dirt and plants.

gardeningwithe

It sounds like it is going to look so pretty! I like the idea of moving the chunks and making a planting area there. I think that would be the way to go. It is going to be such a nice transformation. I don't grow periwinkle and honestly I do much better with veggies than flowers so I don't know if it will choke out the tulips or not. I can't wait to see it all full bloom - you will have to post an updated pic!!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”