CaelynCat
Newly Registered

Help choosing a flowering vine?

Hello!
I am building a planter box with and attaching a lattice to add some color and privacy to my depressing porch. I am having a really hard time finding a flowering vine to do the job! I am in zone 6, here's some more information on what I am looking for.

A hardy vine that is-
Fast growing
Long blooming
Annual or perrenial
Full Sun to part sun

The fast growing part is really important. The lattice won't be to large, only about 4 foot high and I am hoping for it to cover fairly quick. Because I am renting and will only be here for another year or maybe two, I want something that I can enjoy, and not something that only the next tenant will get to enjoy. I was looking at the Jackmanii Clematis? I have read that they grow extremely fast. Any help is appreciated!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It sounds to me like your situation is perfect for an annual vine. Hybrid morning glory flowers are breath taking, and being an annual will give far more bloom than any perennial. Moon flowers are surreal with their six inch white flowers, but I've found them difficult to grow in planters unless the box is quite large. Hyacinth bean is lovely but the flowers are fairly small. Black eyed Susan vine (Thunbergia) makes a spectacular display of flowers. If mine, I would probably opt for one of the larger, more showy morning glories, perhaps growing a blue and a white together.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Look over aristolochia--Dutchmans pipe. See if that has the get up and grow your wanting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since your lattice is so small, I agree with the idea of an annual vine. Perennials will rapidly outgrow your space and become pests. Cardinal climber is another annual vine that stays a manageable size, handles part shade conditions, and has pretty red flowers that hummingbirds love.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”