Bokashi

Spring bulbs and deer

Anyone have any ideas on planting bulbs for spring flowering? I live on the edge of a forest and the deer decimate my tulips so I've gone with all daffodils which seem to do great with deer. I'd love to add some color in early spring besides just yellow/white - any species of tulip that the deer tend to leave alone?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tulips are tulips and they are deer candy. If you absolutely have to have tulips, you can try spraying them with deer repellants or put netting over them. I'm not sure how well the repellants work, haven't tried them myself.

But there are other bulbs out there that deer are a lot less likely to eat. The best for repelling deer is probably allium (onion family). Alliums come in wide range of colors, sizes, shapes, bloom times. Another good choice is fritillaria which comes in a number of different strong colors. Many of the early spring bulbs, like snowdrops, snowflakes, grape hyacinth, glory of snow, winter aconite, are deer resistant.

And daffodils do come in other colors than yellow and white, including pinks and oranges (but nothing in the blue/ purple ranges).

Bokashi

Great ideas, I'll look into those, thank you~ :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just to give you an idea, here's a very few of the many kinds of alliums:

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/medias/s ... 628510.jpg

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”