Cola82
Green Thumb

Heavy rain a concern for daffodil bulbs?

I planted daffodils last November in the hard, rocky clay in my yard last year under a fence that prevented them from getting adequate light, so as soon as the leaves were brown and dry last August, I dug them up, washed them off, and planted them in a barrel in the center of the yard with plenty of rich, fluffy soil.

It was really hot all summer, definitely one of the warmer years in recent memory, with very little rain except a couple furious and brief thunder storms in August. But for the last couple weeks or so it has been in the 40F-60F range and the rain is coming down in buckets. Non stop.

We always have really wet winters in Oregon, and all my bulbs are planted very shallowly in an area that is completely unprotected. Should I shield them, or dig them up? I would have to plant them again in November, but I don't know how much of this is good for them. Daffodils grow wild everywhere along the edges of fields here, so maybe it doesn't matter? I don't have a huge window to replace them if they rot.

Appreciate any advice.

applestar
Mod

Well... Daffodils are more tolerant of shade and clay soil, and low, wet spots than other spring bulbs like tulips and hyacinth.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Okay, cool.

Sorry for getting back to this late--I've been busy with stuff and things.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”