lily51
Greener Thumb

An earwigs favorite flower?

I have bought and tried to grow different kinds of celosia on and off through the years with little success.
This year I started some from seed, the pink plumed variety and the scarlet cockscomb, which we call "brain flower". They both did great, but the scarlet variety is outstanding in color.
I cut several stalks of the scarlet, brought them in and arranged in a vintage cream-color vase. It looks striking. However, earwigs started dropping out of them, onto the counter. Couldn't believe it.
So have others seen this correlation of earwigs in the crinkled celosia?
Evidently,, they don't really hurt them as the plants are healthy as can be.

I plan on gathering more, hanging in paper bags to dry to collect seeds, but will do so only in the garage now that I've found these critters.

And how do you control earwigs if need be?

KeyWee

When I lived in Z5 we had lots of earwigs. Here in Z7a, I never see any (but we have other fun and yucky things ~ I digress).
Earwigs liked to hide. It's my guess that the crinkly celosia is an ideal spot and they may lay eggs in there too. Common earwigs like to feed on dead vegetation and small insects, so if they aren't eating the celosia, it must be their home and not their food.
However, you don't want to bring a lot of these things indoors. Maybe you could leave the flowers to dry and go to seed in a cold area like a garage or shed. If you want to bring cut flowers in, you will probably have to spray them first.
Ick ~ I don't miss earwigs, but I could do without some of these giant spiders. No matter where you go, there you are .............

imafan26
Mod

There were dozens of earwigs hiding in the turmeric flowers last Tuesday. Not that unusual though. All sorts of critters from ants, thrip, and earwigs really like the cups and folds of Ginger flowers. They do give you that eeeeeyuu moment when the flowers are washed and they come pouring out.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”