j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Please help ID this flower... = Dahlias

My wife planted this last year, just one more nice plant among many new kinds and we didn't pay it much attention. It came back this year and we're really impressed. It's got a nice full shape, dark green leaves and very pretty flowers. She'd like to fill up our flower box with more...anyone know what it is?

Thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG (40.82 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

lily51
Greener Thumb

These look like Dallas that are started by seed. There are several different varieties and are a showy,colorful addition to the garden. I've started them many times in my greenhouse and transplanted them outside. They're easy to grow...but I've never had mine come back the next year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup dahlias. Lily you are in zone 5, where dahlias can't over winter. People usually dig them up and store them for the winter and replant in the spring. 3707 is probably in zone 7. They usually say dahlias are hardy only in zone 8 and above, but that looks like a protected spot next to the house, so they got lucky. Dahlias are tender perennials that will keep coming back as long as winters are warm enough for them.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Thank you! 8) We're in zone 8 and the flower box is nicely protected. Sounds like we've got a good shot at perennial dahlias.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”