jhartman5
Newly Registered

Holes and Browning leaves -- flowering shrubs and perennials

Hello all!

I live in Indianapolis which I believe is zone 5. I have several hydrangeas, roses, and other bushes in my front yard. This is the 2nd year I've had a problem with holes in the leaves and browning. I have tried insecticides and fungicides. Tried a beer trap to catch slugs. Ive gone out at night with a flashlight and never see any insects. Any ideas? Whatever it is its affecting all my landscaping.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

jhartman5
Newly Registered

More pictures...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.06 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know and it may be more than one thing. Lots of little holes shot gun style around a leaf can be flea beetles. Lots of pale /brownish spots can be the marks left behind by some kind of sucking insect.

But honestly, your damage looks pretty minimal. You will drive yourself crazy as a gardener if you start worrying about every little spot. It's part of nature and nothing natural ever looks perfect. Plants can easily lose 10% of their leaf surface before they even start noticing.

If it were me, I would just keep on keeping an eye on things, watch if it is getting worse, keep looking for the culprit (check the undersides of leaves when you are looking).

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”