Ezwat5280
Newly Registered

Shade Clematis?

I need to identify a variety of clematis that thrives, if not flowers, in mostly shade. I already have “sweet Autumn,” but I am searching for another variety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS SO MUCH

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My large flowering clematis seem to do just fine even when grown in moderate shade. I have one plant that grows under the eve on the north side of the house, and it flowers well. Another is growing in a corner that is shaded all day long, and it produces massive quantities of flowers. I'm not sure about dense shade, where they would only get weak indirect light however.

watermelonpunch

This:

And this:

(don't know the names sorry - but the purple ones... I remember my aunt-in-law calling it by a man's name like first & last name of a man. ha ha)

They both only get direct sunlight from maybe an hour after sunrise until midday.
But they do get mostly direct sunlight in the 4-5 hours they get it, but it's only morning sun.
The one in the 2nd picture gets some filtered sun after that.

The ones in the first picture... they are in pretty much deep shade after 1pm for the rest of the day.

I have not come across anything about a clematis that prefers or is okay with "deep shade only", that's for sure.
The whole shade or sun variable really needs like a standardized number system. ha ha ha.
I try to go by "hours of direct sunlight a day" or "hours of filtered sunlight per day" when I'm asking a question about a location's conditions... if that makes any sense?

*dim*
Cool Member

here is the best site for clematis ....

https://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clemat ... ate-shade/

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”