KeriFord

Sprout Flower Seeds?

Will flower seeds sprout the same as some veggies by putting them in a baggie with a wet paper towel and leaving them on top of the refrigerator for a couple days? I'm adding flowers from seeds to my veggie garden for the first time and am flying blind!

plants I have are--

Nasturtium
Sunflower
Shasta Daisy
Marigold
African Daisy
Lavender (technically an herb, I know. but I've never eaten them, just smelled)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know. It's kind of a mixed bag. Nasturtium has big hard seeds that need to be soaked in water at least over night and scarified. I'm not sure they would do anything with the damp paper towel method. Lavender is very slow to germinate and might not work well that way either. The rest might.

KeriFord

rainbowgardener wrote:I don't know. It's kind of a mixed bag. Nasturtium has big hard seeds that need to be soaked in water at least over night and scarified. I'm not sure they would do anything with the damp paper towel method. Lavender is very slow to germinate and might not work well that way either. The rest might.
Good to know! the Nasturtium had no mention of soaking on the bag!

Thanks!

KeriFord

Everything sprouted within 2 days except the lavender! I read that can be a 3wk thing there. I check them every now and then. I have plenty left to try it out other ways I read about. and I soaked the Nasturtium as instructed. if anyone wondered how that came out :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”