emmdavies

Ideas for Apartment Patio Garden?

Here's some photos:
Image Image Image Image
I live in an apartment with a brick patio. The floor is cement, but there are brick walls about 2 or 3 feet high. Our apartment faces the south so we get sun ALL day and it can get pretty hot on the patio.
My roommates and I have a garden started, but I was wondering if there were any ideas of what else we could try to do.
When we were sitting on the patio one day, we though maybe we would like to have some taller plants on the wall to give our patio a "hidden" feel to it, or maybe just on two of the walls.

Anyway, we have some herbs and a few tomato plants, some flower seedlings (I'm growing a few flowers like daisies, cosmos, cornflowers, dwarf sunflowers, and zinnias), and some potted flowers I got at Lowe's. But I'd like to see if anyone had some cool ideas. We are college students and love to grill out on our patio and have some friends over on a nice night.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think it is great that as college student, with a lot else going on and probably not planning to stay in the apt too long, you are thinking about planting it and making it nice.

You have some good ideas. I like the idea of planting on top of the wall. They make planters that are designed to go over the top of deck railings:

https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 20193869-2

you might be able to find something like that, that would work to go over your wall. You can also hang planters on the wall. Also there are planters with trellis, so you could grow stuff up the wall. I know some of this stuff is expensive if you buy it ready made, but look around for stuff you can repurpose. Check out freecycle and craigslist. Old plastic garbage cans (the big ones you take out to the street), can make great large containers, cut down and with some holes in the bottom.

Think big. Lots of little planters full of little plants can look junky. Think about big planters with big plants, including a couple trees. There are dwarf banana trees that are hardy where you are, that would give your patio a cool tropical feel, without taking up all the room.

Enjoy!

emmdavies

Oh I like the idea about the banana tree! I'll have to shop around. And the trellis idea on the wall sounds so cool! But I get worried about the plant growing into the brick, or is that something to not worry about?? :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

depends on the plant. There are a few suckering vines that could do a little damage. Most things would be not to worry about, they will just stay on the trellis.

emmdavies

would a moonflower vine be one of those to not worry about? I am already growing one. but I was just thinking about growing it upwards for a corner or something.

hmm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, moonflower cannot attach itself to anything, just wraps around things. It will be lovely to have on your patio, because open in the evening, when you would be there! It does need some kind of trellis or poles to wrap around, since it doesn't cling.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

You do need some height for both screening and balance. The trellis is a good idea just make sure it is sturdy enough to support your vine. You have a lovely space. balance it with some taller plantings. Invest in some really large pots so you can do container gardens. You can take them with you when you move.

Lovely patio

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”