Rise16
Newly Registered

Just bought a Phalaenopsis

Hi everyone. I just bought this lovely Phalaenopsis. I am very new here and just starting to learn everything about flower gardening.

Any tips and advise that I can use to keep my plant in bearing beautiful flowers?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

1. Don't over water. Water once or twice per week at maximum, and don't let pot sit in water in bottom tray.
2. Give the plant moderate but indirect or filtered light.
3. Use dilute water soluble fertilizer with each watering. But dip the plants or flush them from time to time to leach out salt build up.
4. Inspect regularly for scale or mealy bugs. These need to be caught early or they become very difficult to control.
5. Place the plant where it gets some air movement.
6. Fill bottom tray with pebbles, to let the water overflow add humidity for the plant.
7. Move the plant outside seasonally when temperatures range between about 45 to 90 degrees. Place the plant in a lightly shaded spot. Plants bloom more reliably when exposed to a swing between warmer and cooler temperatures. Inside a house stays too steady for optimal flowering.
8. Repot when the matter starts to break down and holds water for too long. Clear pots are best. You should be able to see nice sligtly green roots. Dark brown roots are not a good thing, and could be an indication of time to repot. For bark mixture, repot generally about every 1-2 years.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rise16
Newly Registered

Thanks hendi_alex for the tips. Everything is noted. Thanks a million.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”