Paperwhite newbie

moonflower vines

I have 6 moonflower vine seedlings and I am going to give 3 more away and keep 3 more. I also have 3 Datura seedlings that I am going to keep. Here is a picture of one of the moonflower vine seedlings just going to town, I finally figured out where the true leaves come up from. Just had to be patient.Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Patience is rewarded! :)

Looking good! Show us again in another couple weeks, when it is four times that tall!

Paperwhite newbie

here is the latest picture from my moonvine, the true leaves are really doing good, especially since I started to water from the bottom, that really perks them up.Image

LA47
Green Thumb

It looks good and very healthy.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The bean family is pretty hard to start early and keep healthy during the winter. Yours look great. I probably won't put the seeds in the soil until early April.

Paperwhite newbie

I was wondering if it would be alright if I put my moonvine plants in the window? It is cloudy today and I don't want them to get sun burned. They have several of their true leaves but the old ones have not fallen off, should I take them off or let them fall off on their own? I have read that these flowers like it hot, and the sun coming in the window is warm but not too hot.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sure, put them in the window.

Let nature take her course re the seed leaves. As long as they are green, they are still collecting energy for the plant.

Paperwhite newbie

Could someone please tell me when these vines are going to start vining? They have several sets of true leaves and are doing quite well, but I keep checking and no vining yet. Does it have to be outside before it does that or am I just being impatient?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what you mean by vining? The moonflower doesn't put out tendrils, if that is what you mean. The stems just twine around things. Put a stick in the pot next to it and watch it go...

In the picture top left of the vine, you can see a long stem hanging down, just "looking" for something to twine around. If a breeze blows it against the trellis, it will wrap itself around it and then start twining the stem upwards again.

Paperwhite newbie

I noticed that my moonvine true leaves have little yellow spots on them, is that anything to worry about? It is in the pot by itself, I have not fertilized them any and just misted them the other day. What could be doing this Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know and it is hard to see with the light right on it like that. It could just be hard water spots from the misting. Was it just water you misted with? You said not fertilizing. Was there fertilizer in the potting soil? If so, they should be OK for awhile longer without fertilizing. If it was a seed starting mix, without nutrients, then your spots could be a symptom of nutrient deficiency and you should start fertilizing.

Was that a sufficient answer to the vining question, which I didn't quite understand?

Paperwhite newbie

It was the right answer, I thought that the moon vine plant sent out tendrils when it was time for it to start vining, that is what the question was about, you answered it ok, and the yellow on the leaves was hard water spots, I put the seeds in Miracle-Gro potting soil so it had fertilizer in it. I am thinking of moving them to a larger pot come spring, I have to get some more potting soil though, the soil they are in is from last summer and I think they need the nutrients in the fresh soil. But I will start watering the soil instead of misting the leaves.

convolvulus
Newly Registered

Paperwhite newbie wrote:I noticed that my moonvine true leaves have little yellow spots on them, is that anything to worry about? It is in the pot by itself, I have not fertilized them any and just misted them the other day. What could be doing this Image
I notice I get yellow spots on my moon flower's leaves from being too cold outside. I recently had some smaller healthy moonflowers in pots that I started under a 600w high pressure sodium. I put them outside and right after the first cold night there was some wilting and yellowing. also yellow/whitish spots can be a sign of spider mites but I'm not sure if they eat moonflowers. check under the leaves for extremely small looking spiders. you can find pics of them at google. I suspect the cold though.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”