Paperwhite newbie

first scape opening

I just checked the Amaryllis and the first scape is opening too!!! I am going to try to post a pic for you.Image

applestar
Mod

How exciting! And a lovely green living reminder, especially with the snow outside the window.

It would be nice to see the progression as the flowers open -- could you keep posting updates in this thread? :D

Paperwhite newbie

This is what I found when I came home this evening, these were both taken today.ImageYou are the first web page I have that has actually wanted me to keep posting updates instead of just waiting until it actually blooms, I love to see the progression from bud to bloom, knowing the fact that it is cold and snowy outside and I was able to grow a FLOWER inside. It is sort of humbling, wouldn't you say?

Paperwhite newbie

updated photo 12/29/2012 11:17 a.m.Image

JasonFL

Peek a boo little flower! Image

Paperwhite newbie

How can you tell the difference before it blooms, one of the other web pages one of the members thinks it might be Red Peacock because she said I would have 4 blooms for each stem. I am leaving it on the desk because I don't want to move it too much and break the stems, here is what I rigged up for support let me know if that set upImageis ok.

Paperwhite newbie

updated photo 12/30/2012ImageDoes anybody have the answers to two questions, first is this a Red Lion or Red Peacock Amaryllis and second how big are the blooms going to be?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Looking good :!: Congrats

Paperwhite newbie

how much longer till they open more?

Paperwhite newbie

They look like they are pushing their way out of the main bud. Here they are.Image

applestar
Mod

Nice! You can see them changing in every picture. 8)
...remind me, is this in soil or in water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a lovely series of the process of a bud opening. You could make one of those time lapse photography videos of it! Just keep being patient with the process.

You would get nicer pictures if you found a blank wall to move your plant in front of to take its picture.

Paperwhite newbie

updated 12/31/2012, this is what I found when I looked this morning! It seems like it grows more every day and every nightImage

Paperwhite newbie

I got a white towel and fixed it so you can see the flowers and the towel but not the stuff on the shelves. It has opened up more since the last picture I have posted. And there is one of the blooms the one on the right is going to open first, the first pic is the whole thing and the second is the one on the right getting ready to fully open.ImageThis is the one of course on the right getting ready to fully open.

Paperwhite newbie

ImageThis is all 4 of them beginning to really stretch out.The 4th bud is on the other side so you can't see it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. The towel really helps us focus on the flower. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Paperwhite newbie

Who asked about whether it was in soil or water, it is in soil.

Paperwhite newbie

What are the white string things sticking out of the top of the Amaryllis?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you mean as in this picture:

The slender stalks sticking out of the flower are the stamens, the pollen producing part of the flower. The actual thin stalk is (appropriately) called a filament, and the little head that exudes the pollen, is called anther.

But I don't know if I'm talking about what you are, since I'm not seeing any "white string things" in your picture.

Paperwhite newbie

This is what I meant about the white things, and here in the next post is the whole thing that I could get with my camera. The second scape is going to town too. Can you tell me a way to stake them a little better? The dowel rods were a good idea but I think I might want to plant them in a more stable pot next time, the plastic is a litttle too unstable. But here it is.Image

Paperwhite newbie

Here is the whole thing or at least as good as I can get with my camera, as you can see, every flower is still big and beautiful and the buds are coming out too.Image

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Congrats :!: You have worked long and hard to get these lovely blooms.

Paperwhite newbie

you people have helped with your suggestions and advice and I appreciate each and every one of you. :clap:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”