Paperwhite newbie

Amaryllis getting ready?

ImageDoes this mean what I think it does? I noticed the little line on this one and the other one. I hope it means it is gong to bloom soon, the green is pretty but I am SOOOO ready for them to bloom!!!

Paperwhite newbie

Just thought I would show you a photo of both scapes and this will be the last one until they bloom, because I don't want to bore you with pics of green scapes. First I would like to know if it is unusual for the second scape to bloom before the first one and can any one show me what the Red Lion bud looks like before it opens. Never mind the junk behind it.Image

Mr_bobo_

And, how they look like...?

...look mine...

FruitAddict
Cool Member

I've got a question regarding the amarylis bulbs I've saved over. I started mine a few weeks ago and all of them are making leaves before the flower stem - is that normal? Also my leaves seems to be flopping down and then back up again. I put a grow light above them this year and haven't done that before. Mainly because I'm decided to try and grow some basil from seed in the same pots.

A bit of backround on these bulbs was that I was away for Jan, Feb, and part of March last year so I didn't start the bulbs as soon as I normally do and none of them flowered last year but I put them outdoors all summer last year and they seemed fine.

I'm wondering if I'm overwatering, underwatering, giving them too much growlight not enough light? Or was it the stress of being started so late last year? My leaves don't seem to be as dark a green as the ones in the pictures.

Mr_bobo_

Yes it is normal for Amarilis to have leaves before flower stalk...
...happen to me all the time... leaves always grow faster...

...to get flower stalk before... bulb you need bring in warm room and and darken the container...give water and wait flower stalk...
...after bulb stalk will be like 10 cm you can put pot on light...

...I also bring them outside in summer... then before winter inside in dark room, not to cold... and stop watering... foliage dries and fallen down...
...and bulbs having resting period... before spring I start watering (the pelvis below, because bulb can rot if is to much moister around it) it and the strongest ones give me flower stalk...

...that's the procedure how you will make them to bloom...

...I lost lot of bulbs of amarilis before I learn some things...

pow wow

Beautiful Amarilis Mr_bobo_. Here's what my batch is looking like right now.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”