Paperwhite newbie

first amaryllis not growing new roots

I am concerned, the first amaryllis is not growing any new roots, I took it out to check and see like a master gardener said to, and the roots look the same as when I put them in the soil, it has red on the bulb itself and it has a funny smell to it. there are NO new roots at all. I don't want to throw it away but I don't want to waste the time trying to make it grow and not see something for my efforts. The other one is growing like crazy. Do you want me to take a picture

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

You took it out of the soil? IDK - you may be over thinking your project. All of the pics look great. Just leave them alone. You can "LOVE" your plants to death. Let go and let mother nature do her thing. Quit messing with them and let them do their own thing. They look great an do not need much more from you. They are plants not children. Mother nature will take over from the good start you have given.

Merry Christmas to you and yours

Paperwhite newbie

ImageThis is the first amaryllis I planted, it has no new roots and now there are very tiny black bugs on it, should I throw it away, I don't want it affecting the other plants.

applestar
Mod

I'm suspecting fungus gnats. Do you have any mosquito dunks? Put a little bit in de-chlorinated or filtered water and use for watering.

Alternatively, float a cinnamon stick in your water and add achamomioe tea bag. Water with this weak herbal "tea"

Paperwhite newbie

What if you don't have any of the things you suggested, what then?

Paperwhite newbie

I went ahead and got rid of the first one, it had black and white bgs on it and I did not want to mess up the other plants, is the potting soil still good? I was thinking of putting the potting soil in a bag and storing it until spring, and just setting the good amaryllis pot and all inside the clay pot, would that be a good idea?

applestar
Mod

I see a red aphid near the base of the flower stalk to the right. The bugs could have been black aphids and white ones could have been molted shells.

"got rid of" = threw away? A bit drastic, no?
You'll find that there will be all kinds of bugs when you grow plants and garden. Trick is to learn to ID them and what to do with them. Some bugs are beneficial.

If they were fungus gnats, the soil will be infested with their eggs and larvae. I would not reuse without first freezing or sterilizing in some way. (I actualy put infested container soil in the compost pile if the plant has died or is being uppotted to a larger container.)

Aphids may not be as big a deal. They are easy to get rid of unless it's a severe infestation, and amaryllis in early growth like yours would be very easy to spray or wipe off with mild soapy water.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”