Paperwhite newbie

extra leaves

It is looking good for the Paperwhites, the first one I planted is really going to town, and there is one that the roots have pushed the bulb up out of the soil, and the other ones have extra leaves on them at least I think they are leaves, I could have stems and buds but not know it. They are really growing good, I had to give them a little more water because I read that they need to be moist to grow. Here is a picture of them. :flower: [IMG=https://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4229/1002852i.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Paperwhite newbie

I guess all the pages that I went to knew what they were talking about when they said that the Paperwhites grow fast, since I put them right under the fluorescent light and left them there all day, they are popping up like crazy! :D I don't remember whether the leaves come on first or the blooms, I know the Amaryllis usually sends up the buds and leaves at the same time because that is what mine are doing. I just might have some flowers on these sprouts some time before the new year, I do have one question, there is one of the sprouts that the roots have pushed it a little ways out of the soil, should I leave it alone or do I need to push it back in the soil? Thanks for directing me to the right place. Here is an updated picture, I took this one, not too bad for an amateur photographer huh?[IMG=https://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7103/1002862h.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

They're doing very well. :) Don't push anything back into the soil; let them come out and explore on their own. Just keep them warm and happy, which it looks like you're already doing to their immense satisfaction.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

It looks like you have good light over them, and I never did -- just a sunny window, so yours may grow sturdier, but I usualy have had to corral them (wire circle plant support or series of short ba,boo steaks with strings tied around) to keep the flower stems from flopping over once the blooms started to swell and become full/ready to open.

Have fun! The flowers smell wonderful too. :D

Paperwhite newbie

The only problem I can see is when they get too high for the light, I don't have any way to keep the light on them when they get too high for the desk lamp. I guess I could put the light on the desk and shine it up on them, but that would be the only way. But they seem healthy and happy so I won't worry until they get that tall, may try the alcohol trick and see if I can keep them a little shorter. nutz: This one tells how I feel about these flowers.

applestar
Mod

Put the desk light on a riser -- stack of books, bricks, etc.

What's ths alchohol trick?

Paperwhite newbie

They say to dilute the alcohol with water and use it instead of straight water, it will shorten the stems but still have full flowers and the stems won't be floppy and fall over. I forget how much but if you go to the Paperwhite flower page and type in alcohol they will tell you all about it. I just don't think I am going to mess with it, because they are doing just fine and I am not going to screw them up. :D

Paperwhite newbie

I am just so happy I can't hardly stand it!!! I have at the last count 7 new sprouts coming out. It is like I can see them grow every day! I am sorry I am so excited, it is something I have not done in a long time. I took a chance on trying to grow flowers inside during the winter, I need something to keep my mind from flying the coop :lol: If they bloom my feet won't touch the floor for several weeks!!!! The new sprouts are on my Paperwhites of course.

Paperwhite newbie

All these new sprouts on the paperwhites, are they going to be flowers or leaves? How can you tell the difference when they are sprouting? Not worrying, just curious, the ones I have are getting bigger every day! :?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”