drh146
Cool Member

potted mums into ground?

I posted this first in container gardening but then thought it might be better here;
I bought some mums at the beginning of October in pots. The flowers are now about done but they are still green. We just had our first frost and maybe again tonight. Should I put them in the ground, or just the compost pile?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I've been told that Spring is really ideal for planting mums, despite their wide availability this time of year. However, my mom has planted some after they've finished blooming and they've come back bigger each year.

I guess, why not plant them and see what happens? If they come back next year, great! If they don't make it, that's no loss right? I had a small mum that I transplanted a couple of weeks ago and I'm really hoping it will make it next year because it was my favorite. We'll see!

mtmickey

Definitely worth a try to plant them now. I have always put mine in the ground in the fall and they have done well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can certainly try planting them. It is true that they do better planted in spring. All the ones people buy already blooming this time of year and then plant often don't make it through the winter, because they haven't had time to establish roots before winter shuts them down. So they may or may not make it, but if not, you can compost them later.

To give it the best shot, water in well and then keep moist (but not wet) until the ground freezes. Do NOT use any nitrogen fertilizer. You want your plant to focus on growing roots at this point, not leaves or flowers. Be sure to loosen up the root ball well before planting and cut off any remaining flowers. Give it a big enough planting hole, with plenty of loose soil around it, to make it easy for roots to spread into,

drh146
Cool Member

Thanks everyone. I did everything you said. Planted them with really working the soil around them, mixing in compost as well. Then mulched really well with dry grass from the compost pile.
Removed all the flowers. The first one had lots of new buds, the second had a few but also looked like it got hit by frost. Some leaves were darkened.
When should I expect them too be looking alive next year? Already in the spring?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Once winter really sets in and all the leaves are brown and dry on your plant, you can cut the stems off at ground level. If it is doing well, by then it should have already put out some new basal leaves at ground level. Leave those alone.

Next spring it should start growing new stems, which will flower in late summer to fall.

For established plants usually you want to trim off all the little growing tips at some point (tradition says memorial day and the fourth of July, I think that is just a way to remember). All the places where it is trimmed will branch out and that will make your plant bushier and more floriferous.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the advice RBG! I benefited from this as well :) I just planted another mum and made sure to follow all of your suggestions. Hopefully they'll have a good shot!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”