rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

(Northerners) what's still blooming in your yard?

I addressed this to Northerners, because I know you Southern folks still have yards full of flowers, without even trying.

I have blooming: several varieties of wild and hybrid asters, mums, goldenrod, Jeruselam artichoke, nicotiana, a little bit of lavender still blooming, purple basil, white alyssum, last few cardinal climber and moonflower flowers, mini-roses, marigolds, last few geraniums, lots of white snakeroot, sedum.

And there's berries and seedhead/pods and dried ornamental grasses, and fall colors. So the garden is definitely looking autumnal, but still pretty lush and colorful.

applestar
Mod

We have similar blooms :D Let's see if I can remember...

Goldenrod, snakeroot, hardy ageratum, aster, sedum, white alyssum... Also red clover has been blooming again, a few trumpet honeysuckles left, holy basil or cinnamon basil not sure which, and a very confused rhododendron flower cluster. I think my rose is probably still blooming though I didn't look.

Seminole pumpkin, tomatoes, Malabar spinach, and runner beans and bush beans that survived the frost, and protected peppers, sweet potato vines, and roselle are still blooming. Tansy and some strawberries.

ETA -- took a stroll with a mug of cocoa -- Polygonum cespitosum (also some that have darker pink flowers like P. amplexicaulis) , evening primrose, wormwood, dianthus.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You inspired me to look a little closer, Applestar!! I have a different polygonum still blooming, smart weed -- I think that is polygonum lapathifolium? And some squash blossoms. Don't think my tansy is still blooming. I expect if I walked out back on the hillside, I might find one or two of the tall evening primrose still blooming, but it is raining right now. My honeysuckle trumpet vine also has a couple flowers left as do the dianthus in containers on the deck.

That makes an even 20 varieties of flowers in my little yard. Not too bad for mid-Oct, after the first couple frosts.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'm more Central than Northern...

My Confetti Abelia is still blooming strong (ps I LOVE this little shrub so far!). The Asters are hanging in there, but not quite as pretty as they were last week. My Stoke's Asters are still blooming with new buds coming in and one of them has gorgeous new shiny foliage. The geraniums are looking a bit rough but still have a few blooms. I had a nice surprise when I was out in the garden today, apparently I have pretty peach chrysanthemums scattering my hill that are just opening up! I had no idea what color they would be :) The cleome and fern-leaf bleeding hearts still have a few blooms hanging on as well as the impatients that popped up in the cracks of our patio. Everything else is pretty much done :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was walking around yesterday after the rain and realized I missed three more: impatiens still looking quite happy (liking the fall weather a lot better than the hot and dry), May Night salvia, and ironweed all still blooming.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I am in north central Ohio; we had a couPle nights last week of freeze warnings, but they didn't seem to happen.
Right now around the yard in different gardens and containers these are blooming: mums, impatiens, marigold, victoria and flame salvia, tall ageratum, profusion zinnia, endless hydrangea , lantana. There may be more, but that's what comes to mind from inside.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I love threads like this because I google all the plants I don't recognize and get some fun new ideas ;)

lily51
Greener Thumb

To add a couple....old fashioned climbing petunias, limelight hydrangea (it shouldn't be, but it's part that is coming back after a new fence was put in this summer), dianthus are having their second bloom.

edelweiss

I still have Iceberg rose hedges blooming, (so Rose of Sharon, Hydrangeas, slowing down) Sandcherry bushes,lots of Cosmos flowers,mint, chive,parsley,dried Ornamental grass, a bush with little vibrant red flowers (haven't found out it's identity), impatients, hybrid asters mums,marigold.Leaves are slowly changing colours. Looks so beautiful, I always say it is Gods special Art creation! :D

AND 200 TOMATOES RIPENING INSIDE ALL OVER MY HOUSE! :roll:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”