Itari
Newly Registered

Tulip and Hyacinth Bulbs

Hi all.

I need help in order to figure out how to properly force tulip bulbs. I currently have appx 80 bulbs in a separate drawer in the fridge. Now I have read a number of websites about how to do this, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Currently I plan on leaving them there for a while. Since I live in Miami there is no winter to be had here (zone 10b) , so am I correct in saying that they will have to undergo an initial planted growing phase while still being in the fridge? Then a month or so before I would like them to bloom I pull them out from the fridge. Now if I want to plant them outside I would have to put them in a pot while they are in the fridge and then transfer them out? I think I didn't accurately consider my refrigerator real estate when planning this...

Is this general process correct?

Is there anything different for water grown hyacinth and tulips?

EDIT: I was reading around and went through two posts, but nothing that related to my no-winter situation. There were the links I found https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16255
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18783

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the hyacinth and I don't know if there's anything different. Not sure what you mean when you say "water grown hyacinth." Are you talking about water hyacinth the pond plant? That's very different...

Anyway for tulips, you have the process right. And you are right that just storing the bulbs dry in the frig does NOT count as cold stratifying and does not get them ready to sprout and bloom. They have to be planted in moist soil and THEN refrigerated. So yes, 80 of them planted in moist soil is going to take up quite a bit of room in your refrigerator.

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't bother. Why work so hard to grow something that is adapted to my climate, when you can grow so many gorgeous tropicals that are adapted to your climate, that I can't grow.

applestar
Mod

I don't think I've heard of growing tulips in a hyacinth jar, though you CAN grow paper whites in gravel and water.

Can you put the tulip bulbs in zip bags of moist soil or do they grow roots while in the moist stratification phase? (if they do grow roots, then I'd be afraid of breaking them) but since you can buy dry tulip bulbs that have been pretreated for forcing indoors, it seems like they don't need to grow roots first.

I always pot up some tulips and other spring bulbs then put them in the unheated garage over the winter months, then bring them inside once they start to grow so I don't really know how it's done where there are no natural cold period either.

For one time bloom with no need to save the bulbs, you don't need a huge pot to plant them in, but those top-heavy gift pots of spring bulbs do topple over easily.

@rainbowgardener -- where gardening is concerned, saying "it can't be done" is usually the way to get me to try growing something -- at least once. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I didn't mean to say it can't be done. I'm just not sure I see the point of doing it. My preference is always to grow what is native/ adapted to the conditions, rather than trying to force something to grow in conditions that it isn't suited to.

Itari
Newly Registered

Well the tulips were a spur of the moment thing that I wanted to try. For the hyacinths I mean forcing them in jars, not water. I have heard of the same being done with tulips.
ill have to see if I manage to find a place for them all, or stagger the growth so that they don't take up a terrible amount of space.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”