pinksand
Greener Thumb

Planting Bulbs

I picked up some bulbs today while out buying composting supplies. I ended up with 12 pink charm daffodil bulbs, 8 purple sensation alliums, and 25 ranunculus bulbs. None of which do I have any experience with. I probably should have done this before buying them, but when I got home I looked them up for some more info. Anyway, now I'm confused!

The ranunculus package says to plant now for zone 7, but online I found a site that said that for zones 4-7 it is better to plant early Spring. I searched a few more sites and didn't find much clarity... Spring, Fall, Spring, Fall? :(

It looked like the daffodils and alliums would be fine to plant now. Does that sound about right?

I haven't planted bulbs since I was probably 6 years old so I'm super rusty!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think your analysis is just right. The daffs and allium should be planted now. Allium is the family that onions and garlic are in and I am planting those now. The ranunculus is not cold hardy and should be planted in spring. Then if you want to keep it going, it will have to be dug up in fall and stored indoors for the winter.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Ok, that might actually be better because I think they'd work well in the garden I'm hoping to make around the mailbox in the Spring and it should be a nice sunny spot they could like.

What should I do with the ranunculus bulbs in the meantime? Keep them someplace cool like the basement? When should they be planted next year... late March?

I'm really excited about the bulbs! I know it sounds silly, but there's something so exciting about a little brown dead looking rock being planted in the ground and then come Spring having beautiful flowers emerge from the ground :)

I was just following your advice RBG! I passed by the bulbs and your suggestion popped in my head so I just picked some that looked a bit fun and different (at least different for me... I've only ever had tulips). Now I'll have some Spring interest in my front garden too :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”