gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Put in a flower bed for the wife today

I got a bit ambitious with the cooler weather we've been experiencing in the mornings. After cutting the lawn this morning I decided it was time to put in a couple border beds in the front for flowers. I tilled up and "L shaped patch that is 14 ft. long and 30 inches wide in both directions for outside dimensions and only came in about 6 ft. in each direction on the inside dimension and did a 45 degree cut to make a bed that looks similar to a very large letter "A".

I already have a nice rose bush in the upper corner that has been there for years and really haven't decided what to put in there to fill things in.

I plan on using some bagged garden soil to amend the mostly clay soil I have, then put some landscape cloth over the bed to help keep weeds down, then plant and mulch. I'll let the wife pick out the flowers and shrubs and we can take it from there.

The little lady was shocked when she got home since I didn't tell her my plans for today. She couldn't believe I didn't already have tomato and pepper plants out there.

lily51
Greener Thumb

:D Nice!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You should do a line of bulb type flowers. I think that tulips and holland origin bulbs will not work in LA but I would look into ranunculus. They have european origins so I think they would work there.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the "little lady" wants spring bulbs there are some that work for warm climates like jonquils and paperwhites, snowflake, watsonia, gloriosa lily, clivia. There's a nursery southernbulbs.com that is in TX and specializes in stuff for hot climates, including a few warm adapted tulips. She gets to choose, but please no lines. Nature never does anything in straight lines. Plant them in clumps, clusters or randomize (sometimes I toss a handful of bulbs and plant them where they land).

But good work, gumbo. I'm sure she is very happy and grateful to her "little gent" for doing it. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”