TNFlowerField
Newly Registered

Field of Wildflowers

Hi there! I planted about 1/4 acre of wildflower seed in a family field here in East TN, and I've only had maybe 15-20 flowers actually take root. I harrowed and planted in the same day, and I was just wondering for some tips about how to make them take in a much higher number this upcoming spring.

I plan on seeding about 3 acres this upcoming spring in hopes that some will actually take. (Planning to have a wedding late spring/early summer in the fllowers.)

-Do I have a chance of any coming back this upcoming spring?
-Should I retill/reharrow the field and reseed?

Any and all help is very much appreciated! I haven't done hardly any gardening my entire life and sorta jumped in head first.

susanapics

Hi, I'm new here too and find myself in a similar situation (trying to create a field of wildflowers - in middle TN) I don't have the answer but you might find this website helpful. One trick I've learned over the years planting seeds is to spread them during a snow if you can so that when it melts it will take them straight to ground. Good luck. [url]https://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-gardening/wildflower-how-to/[/url]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Was wondering how you planted them. I would use a push grass seed spreades with vermiculite mixed with the seeds. I would also try to plant them after the disk was done spread them by hand just before a rain! Birds may have gotten them , seeds may be bad they ma have been covered with too much dirt. Try mixing some radish seeds in with the flowers because the radish makes a beautiful flower in pinks and whites. Also throw a few mixed color sunflowers all over so if the other seeds do not take you have a field of sunflowers and lots of pretty birds! I have about 150sunflowers in a field that are all blooming now!

susanapics

Hey Bobberman, do you think it's possible to incorporate seeds into an already established meadow? It's filled with good stuff and I hate to till it under and start from scratch but I'd like more blooming flowers. Also would love to see a pic of your sunflower field!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would start with small circle or square foot areas. For instance do a 2 by 2 foot area with like 4 sunflowers or anything. Scatter these areas all over. Make a map first so you know what you have. Should be fun! a two foot area of radish woud really look good when the flowers come! you could put 30 radish or more in a 2 by 2 foot area! If it was mine
+++I would even plant 4 corn in a 4 foot patch! You are unlimited what you can create! how about 4 corn with 4 runner beans climbing up with the red flowers!Last year I had some really nice climbing attached to several sunflowers. I just cut the big sunflower leaves off but left the stem of the leaf for the vines.

susanapics

Thanks that's a great idea (and maybe having some corn and sunflowers will keep the squirrels out of the fruit trees. (Yeah, I know: fat chance :) I just bought this house/garden the end of June and in a month I've watched them mow down two pear trees, a fig and a peach. I dare say I have the perfect dog but no fence yet.. thanks again.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”