Enttoobad
Newly Registered

Need ideas for a large flowering climber..

Hello all,
I have my first garden and have just finished the hard landscaping and need to think about plants for the first time in my life.
I need a large climbing plant that likes sandy soil, very little direct sunlight, and flowers with bright colours (ideally blues/purples but anything bright would work) for a large part of the year. ... It will grow in a large (1.5 square meters) raised bed against a high wall (the nighbour's house). Once it reaches a meter or so high it will see more direct sun in the late afternoon as the wall faces north-west in an enclosed garden.
As it's a raised bed I guess I can easily adjust the soil type with manure and composts..
A climber that attaches itself would be ideal but I can add supports if necessary.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks!

lorax
Greener Thumb

Delft has an oceanic climate, yes? You can probably get away with Passiflora incarnata. Passiflora of all types are self-attaching climbing flowering vines with both attractive foliage and (often) fragrant blue to purple flowers that attract bees. They're ideal for mostly shaded areas (it will just make them grow faster and produce larger leaves - Passies in the wild are shade plants) and soils with fast drainage are perfect for them. Once established, they bloom from summer to fall.

Enttoobad
Newly Registered

lorax, thanks for the reply - I would love to grow those, they would look stunning. I've read a few pages about them and wonder if they'd survive harsh winters..

lorax
Greener Thumb

That's why I suggested specifically P. incarnata. It survives even Canadian winters.

[url=https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/]Infosheet[/url] - it appears that if you don't drop much below -21 C it will be just fine. (And in my experience, a good mulching goes a long way. I used to grow this plant in northern Alberta, Canada, where the winter temperatures were significantly lower - I put it in a sheltered spot and covered it well, and it always came back.)

Enttoobad
Newly Registered

Well it looks like a good choice then, I'll try it!
Now to find something low with large orange flowers for the foreground, contrast with the purple/blue, considering a giant tulip since I'm in Holland but will check for anything a bit less obvious.
Thanks again for your help :-)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”