Dogwood
Newly Registered

improving my daylily beds

A neighbor shared abundant daylilies three years ago. I planted them in horse manure/pineshavings compost. The past two years it seems the foliage is less than pleasant to observe with so many yellow or brown leaves. Blooms are vibrant and abundant. I have not fertilized these beds. Suggestions for improved care I might offer are appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I never fertilize daylilies. They are extremely hardy and tough. My next door neighbor has some growing in a strip between the north side of her house and the driveway. It is almost full shade, it is terrible soil, mainly concrete and rock from the house foundation. I would never recommend anyone putting daylilies there, but they keep surviving.

I don't know if you are talking about the older leaves. It is normal as the plant produces new green leaves at the top, for the older ones to turn yellow and wilt. Once they are well wilted, you can just remove them for cosmetic purposes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Mine really appreciate extra water.

Dogwood
Newly Registered

One group of daylilies is in a raised bed and the other two groupings are in beds on the ground. They did the same thing last year but it was dry. We have had lots of rain this year. Others' daylilies don't seem to have this problem in some (perhaps shadier) locations. Maybe mine get too much sun. I suspect, after reading your responses, that mine appear to be "suffering" due to their prolific blooms. Thanks for your responses.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”