mossonthemoon

Finding many small bulbs

I don't really know where to put this, but I am working on my garden for the first time since living here (we moved at the end of the season last year and I haven't had time since). The house and gardens are from the 1800s, and I can see that people once cared a lot about them. The previous resident got too old to tend the garden, and it is now full of young maples and many weeds. There are some beautiful plants too: irises, roses, and others I can't identify yet. When I was digging today I found countless tiny bulbs, quite close to the surface. I have no idea what they are. I am just wondering whether people in my situation would bury them again and wait to see what happens, or something else.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't do anything with the tiny bulbs at the surface. I'd just leave them alone to see if they eventually bloom, although it might take a couple of years. My grape hyacinths behave like that somewhat. The bulbs are small anyway, and as they spread and increase, they sometimes are at the surface of the soil. I think the new bulblets form on the plant stems and fall to the ground, much like seeds. As they mature, they often bury themselves deeper in the soil. Give them some time. :)

mossonthemoon

Okay, I will leave them! I just keep coming across more and more. They're very easy to dig up, and there are quite a few. I will just turn the soil back over them as I find them. I hope they turn out to be something nice!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”