loveykatie

Need advice for planting!

I am a first time gardener this year, and I want to plant some flowers in my garden.
I live in Maryland and it's been unusually warm. I'm thinking there won't be any frost. I need advice as to which kind of flowers to plant. I don't want to go with pansies, because I'm not sure if they will make it through the hot summer. Does anyone know?

If not pansies, can someone please give me a suggestion as to which flowers I could plant in my garden that will last me through the summer, but that will not die if temperatures reach 40 degrees in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You can mix both annuals and perennials together. Annuals are petunias, verbena, marigolds, geraniuns, most anything at WalMart. You want perennials you can go to www.perennials.com and you can chose color, deer, butterfly or honeybee friendly, hardiness for your area and you might find most of them in a garden center.

pickupguy07

Since you mentioned marigolds as an annual, I just wanted to mention that mine come back every year.

Dad had some in his garden to keep away pest, and they have come back every year for 10+ years.
SO he brought me some and they multiplied like crazy last year.
Of course I didn't get my lazy butt out last fall to harvest the seeds for this year.
I have tilled up the garden three times this year, added some old chicken manure, and a 4x4x4 pile of compost.
I was out today, and saw I had 3 marigold volunteers up already. If it goes like in Dad's garden, no telling how many I'll get...

I was curious why mine to come back each year. Maybe it's the area I live in (Near Atlanta),... or maybe there are different types; some that come back and some that don't... :? :?:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”