SvetSad

just want to share my pretty flowers

I was at a store the other day, and saw these flowers, i thought they were so pretty i bought 2
[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/Random/photobucket-10781-1333569071642.jpg[/img]

They are bulb flowers, that don't like a lot of dirrect sun, or really hot weather, so they seem to be like most bulb/spring flowers :)

Oh and the name is Ornithogalum Dubium (Orange star)
I'm Russian and litteral translation of screen name is Svet "light" Sad "garden" :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

mrschan
Newly Registered

Beautiful! I received some of these the other day and was wondering if I could plant them in the garden/when and where would be ideal? I live in Seattle, so it tends to not get very hot out until July/August...thanks!!

vivid
Newly Registered

Beautiful! I've not seen these before. Will go to nursery this week and see if I can find them.

SvetSad

I have the flowers inside by west facing window, one day i decided that the hour or 2 of direct sunlight they're getting through the window in the evening isn't enough, so one warm day i decided to put them on my porch, where they would get a bit more sun. It got up to almost 80 degrees that day, and the flowers got very droopy. so i put them back inside, watered them, and after almost a whole day, they perked back up. but the flower clusters were too heavy for the stems to get back up, so they stayed horizontal, while the flowers are stretching upwards, so they make a 90 degree angle. Those old clusters are almost bloomed out, at which point i'll cut them off. And there are new clusters growing and blooming, so the flowers are doing ok inside.

mrschan, if you plant them outside, they must be protected from frost, or a lot of direct sunlight. Aside from that they seem to be really easy to take care of.

vivid, Good luck finding them! they make very pretty potted flowers, and I'm sure they'll look great in the yard also!!

I'm really enjoying them! i just wished they also has some fragrance! 8)
I'm Russian and litteral translation of screen name is Svet "light" Sad "garden" :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Wow!
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

mrschan
Newly Registered

They seem to be doing great in the kitchen by the window, so I think I'll keep them there :) Don't want to risk losing such beautiful flowers!!

aliciasndrs
Newly Registered

they look great! I love the color!

Perennialnorthernmichigan

I would assume because it is a bulb plant that it will return next year? Even if you keep it in the pot, or will you move it in the fall to the garden? Very pretty

SvetSad

Perennialnorthernmichigan That is correct, they will come back next year. Right now the greenery of the flowers is starting to dry up, so when it is all gone (if no more grows) i'll store the bulbs and re-plant next year.

And for anyone interested, I bought the flowers at a local box-store Meijer, and recently my mom told me she found the flowers at a Whole Foods store in AR.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”